UKC

Sony RX 100 III

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaun walby 01 Jul 2015
Who's using it, whats the verdict?

Iam in the market for decent cam i can realistically get in a jacket pocket.

valuebasket.com prices are good has anyone used them?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

Bought mine in Andorra back in November for £500 - an upgrade from Version I. It has been superb, great images, accurate focusing, neat built-in view-finder, the only down-side is the long end of the lens is only 70mm.

Chris
OP shaun walby 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Cheers Chris...yes i note the RX100 II 105mm on the long end, faster class though in the III (24-70mm equivalent)...i think iam happy to loose a bit of reach.

Can you climb with it in a jacket pocket?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

It is quite chunky in a square kind of way but will certainly fit in a sloppy pocket,

Chris
 london_huddy 01 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

I'm a big fan although I've had problems with the lens cover and it's just being returned today.
I've skied and climbed with it in the pocket and it's heavy but small(ish) - feels very dense!

Cracking pictures, sensor and lens and no problem with the AF. All of my Greenland photos in my gallery were taken with it.

OP shaun walby 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs/Andrew

Cheers Chris it sounds ok for what iam doing...Andrew what was problem with the lens cover?
 Mehmet Karatay 01 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

I was looking at the Sony RX series quite seriously a few months ago but decided to go for the Canon Powershot S120. The image quality isn't as good, and I really did want the Sony, but when I held the Sony in my hand I couldn't convince myself that I'd actually take the camera with me as much as a slightly lighter one.

If you're worried about getting it into a pocket, why not go to a shop and hold one and see?

On the other hand, the Sony is on the Alamy recommended camera list and the my one isn't. So if that's important to you...

Mehmet
 london_huddy 01 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

At around -30 deg c (ambient), the lens cover/cap stopped closing and opening properly and has stayed that way ever since.

Not a usual problem from what I've read.

It's at least as sharp as my Fuji X-E1 was, definitely lower noise levels. I'm seriously impressed.
Video's pretty good as well if that's your thing but make sure you get SDXC card for video to have all file formats available to you.
OP shaun walby 02 Jul 2015
In reply to all

cheers Mehmet & Andrew...will check this cam out shortly, thanks for info.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

Of course the RX100 IV has just arrived!

Chris
OP shaun walby 02 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

yer seen the spec...great little camera but not for me at that price. The way the camera industry works Chris,i doubt i will ever buy the latest model, the upgrades are frequently minor dressed up as major and you know it will be half the price in 2 yrs time.
 Fraser 03 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

As a possible alternative suggestion, I've just had a play with a friend's new Canon G7 X, which is rather nifty:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/power...

OP shaun walby 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Fraser

yes had a look at the G7... another good small camera, but ive gone for the Sony. First impression...

Its small very pocketable
Sleek all controls flush with body
the EVF works very well (very handy if on bright light on glacier)
rear tilt screen is very good
Zeiss lens seems to work very well over 24-70mm equivalent fast as well f1.8 wide to 2.8 at 70mm
ISO 80 nice low noise potential

The main feture RAW files...jury's out initially faffing shots suggest they could be as good as the Fuji XE2.
Out with it this wk end...if anyone is interested/considering buying a pocket cam i'll post here about how it performs and what the files brush up like in lightroom and Photoshop
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

The longer I have mine the more I like it, and the more I tend to use it - and leave the NEX 7 at home.. Brilliant little piece of kit!

Chris
 Jayhigh 09 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

Shaun/Chris/Andrew

Can you comment on how it is/would be to use with gloves and/or one handed? I have yet to get my hands on one, but it looks like it just might be a bit too fiddly with all the small-ish buttons on the back?

(Then again if Andrew is using it at -30 I'm guessing I may be very wrong!)

Cheers
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Jayhigh:

> Shaun/Chris/Andrew

> Can you comment on how it is/would be to use with gloves and/or one handed? I have yet to get my hands on one, but it looks like it just might be a bit too fiddly with all the small-ish buttons on the back?

> (Then again if Andrew is using it at -30 I'm guessing I may be very wrong!)

> Cheers

I suspect it would work fine as a point, zoom and shoot - anything more technical would be impossible in gloves at a guess. Also I doubt you could release the flash or the viewfinder in gloves.

Chris
 london_huddy 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Jayhigh:

It was OK. I couldn't do much with big mitts on but general control was fine with pretty big arc teryx zentna gloves on. The smaller buttons were a faff but it was pretty parky and my gloves reflected that. It's certainly better than pure touchscreen options because at least there are buttons and dials for you to physically move and the focus ring can be used for shutter speed/aperture which gives loads of control even with big gloves on.
OP shaun walby 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Jayhigh

This is the one area where the reduced size weight might become a negative...it is all packed in and ive previously stated controls lay flush to the body, it will be tricky with gloves on.

Ive bought this cam to take to the Alps in 2 wks time...summer in Chamonix of course i can take a glove off, which i fully expect/accept higher ranges/non summer????

london_huddy 14 Jul 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

I'll just add that Sony have been fab with a repair on mine which is my first experience of after-care with anyone other than Canon Professional Services and I'm impressed.
 london_huddy 17 Jul 2015
And finally - you could go for the mk iv which has just landed!

Which will hopefully make the mk III even better value.
OP shaun walby 18 Jul 2015

In reply to Andrew

Yer was aware of the M4...see previous post on my thoughts re latest cams from anyone. Good to hear the repair went well, my first impressions from cragging with it are pretty impressive. in aperture setting which I'll use when I need to be quick the AF is fast/accurate, it's live histo works well and it easy to use one handed.

One point I need to look at more closely is its max aperture of only f11 although initial tests suggest front to back sharpness can be achieved well with rock 4ft away and the background stretching for over a mile. The files are great surprisingly big for such a small cam.

The major bonus it sits on a harness very well being so small...if you want a pretty powerful small cam this one might be worth a look if you can live with 70mm on the long end.
Post edited at 07:40
 JWTM 18 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

Have been looking at the same for some time - did you go with value basket in the end?
OP shaun walby 19 Jul 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

In the end no they are HongKong based you basically save 20% straight away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...