UKC

Should Yorkshire be taking on the Aussies for the Ashes .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 01 Jul 2015
Sir Geoffrey thinks that Yorkshire would beat England at the moment, certainly most of the valid team is Yorkshire anyway. If you include Bairstow and Rashid I reckon we would have a shout.
 MaxR 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

Yorkshire don't have Cook, Anderson, Butler, Broad or Wood. So no.

I agree they are a very good side though. Boycs tongue firmly in cheek i think
 Chris the Tall 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:
Not sure about the Aussies, but given that a much weakened Yorkshire can thrash (yes, Mr Alderson, thrash) their nearest rivals in the cc, I reckon a full strength Yorkshire side would be more than a match for the rest of England

Hope rashid gets a chance, but I'm pretty sure he'll be sub yet again
 GrahamD 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Actually it's an interesting call. I suspect right now Yorks versus best of the rest would be close but I think Yorks bowling isn't deep enough.
 BnB 01 Jul 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Plunkett Paterson Bresnan Sidebottom Rashid

Not a bad line-up. All internationals albeit with few caps between them.
 Chris the Tall 01 Jul 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Plunkett Paterson Bresnan Sidebottom Rashid

I would have thought of Brooks rather than Patterson, but it seems they have much the same figures - very creditable average of 22 - for the season, and Patterson's batting average isn't bad - though not as good as Bresnans! Sidebottom is always worth a place merely for his hair. And root is quite a tidy bowler.
 BnB 01 Jul 2015

And they play as a team, particularly in the middle order. Lost count of the number of times Bresnan, Bairstow, Rashid and Patterson have turned 140-6 into 400.
 Morgan Woods 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

We are currently 440/6 against Essex with our middle order doing quite well.
 BnB 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

Yorkshire now have three batsmen in the side averaging over 68 this season - Jonny Bairstow (106), Tim Bresnan (83.50) and Jack Leaning (68.50)

There are also three bowlers with a bowling average of less than 24 - Adil Rashid (23.93), Steven Patterson (22.46) and Jack Brooks (22.42)

This is after 8 completed matches, of which 5 won and 3 drawn. Bodes well for the retention of our title, particularly with Lyth, Root and Balance away on Test duty, at least until they call up another third of the side, a process that has begun yesterday with Rashid, and about time too. Thank god England didn't nick our coach 😊

MikeTS 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

Do Yorkshire still have a policy that only Yorkshirepersons can play?
 Ardo 02 Jul 2015
In reply to MikeTS:

Foreigners are now allowed, but they have to take the Yorkshire oath:
'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt –
Allus do it fer thissen.
 Hat Dude 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

Isn't it always Yorkshire v the rest of the world
In reply to Al Evans:

Could the world cope with so much high self regard in one place, especially with Boycs and comedy Yorkshire stereotype Vaughan on the commentary team?

Has to be played at 'eadingly, its a special ground not like any other ground in the world and you have to completely change your whole style of play there (general Boycs nonsense during the second test)
 BnB 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Asleep in the backs:

Vaughan is highly self-regarding but Boycott simply has over 70 years of being right every time
 robandian 02 Jul 2015
In reply to BnB:

Vaughan is a foreign import (did ok but wears a red rose)!
 The New NickB 02 Jul 2015
In reply to MikeTS:
> Do Yorkshire still have a policy that only Yorkshirepersons can play?

No. What's more, their Ashes winning captain, Michael Vaughan is, despite his Barnsley accent, a Lancastrian.

Gary Ballance was born in Harare.
Post edited at 13:29
Bellie 02 Jul 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Michael Vaughan doesn't have a Barnsley accent!
In reply to Bellie:

Ok, a South Yorkshire twang! It's all foreign to me.
 Fredt 02 Jul 2015

> No. What's more, their Ashes winning captain, Michael Vaughan is, despite his Barnsley accent, a Lancastrian.

I feel Vaughan's pain. When my mother went into hospital to have me, out house was in Derbyshire, so she went to Chesterfield where I was born. The next day, we returned home to our house which was now in Sheffield, Yorkshire due to an overnight boundary change. Doomed to wander eternally rootless.
In reply to Fredt:

9 years in Lancashire for Vaughan, he would no doubt unbearably full on Boycott otherwise!

Well Mr The Tall, I am not quite sure how a Tranmere Rovers fan is supporting YCCC. Plus I am sure that they probably had an extra man on the pitch.
 Chris the Tall 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

As with tranmere, it was inherited from my father and you know what Phillip Larkin said. But his father was born and bred in Malton, and I lived in Sheffield for 27 years, and I'm a stubborn git, so I reckon I'm more Yorkshire than anything else!
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Doesn't Mr Yorkshire CC (Boycs) support Man U?

Surely that should bar him from ever returning to Leeds!
OP Al Evans 03 Jul 2015

I don't believe that, I was once covering a roses match for GTV and was asked to get some pre-match footage, I went to the nets and there was Boycs practising, I said 'are we going to win today Geoff. Sir Geoffrey replied, if you are a Yorkshire man , why are you working for this Lancastrian lot?'
 The New NickB 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:
It's called playing up to the stereotype.

Boycott is a Manchester United fan, he is also a regular guest at the other Old Trafford.

By the way, welcome back!
Post edited at 17:19

Did you ever hear the episode between him and Greg James (off of Radio 1)?

Poor lad was all hyped up to meet a hero and Boycs told him off for wearing shorts at Lords!
 The New NickB 03 Jul 2015

If I remember rightly Boycott was still a damn sight more friendly than Mark Nicholas.

To be fair to Boycs he was just being him and not an arse which was obvious and James got Katie Perry to record a message for him so he cant have been put out.

GrahamD 06 Jul 2015
In reply to BnB:

After what Sidearse just did to my team Warwickshire, I might have to reappraise the YCC attack
OP Al Evans 08 Jul 2015
In reply to GrahamD:
And still is doing
Maybe it is time for Ryan to be brought back into the England squad, he's having a great season and has always been one of the most economical english bowlers.
Post edited at 14:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...