UKC

Resolution Direct - direct!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stemill 05 Jul 2015
Had a great day at Gogarth yesterday despite spending a lot of time falling off what I thought was Resolution Direct (E2 5b).

On the first pitch there is a pretty much straight up crack that leads to the niche on Gogarth. It's a very obvious line and I resolutely decided to go directly up it. It gives very well protected steep full on crack climbing.

Spent mucho time falling off this only to give in and decide to sneak up the leftwards leaning crack in the arete. Get home, read the guidebook again - "...gain the crack in the arete..." Doh!

Has anyone else done this, did you manage the crack, how hard did you think it was?
 Greenbanks 05 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:
Maybe next time take the guidebook?
Great route though & an apt name

OP stemill 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Had the guidebook thanks. Just did my usual trick of reading the description then forgetting it all almost the instant I set off. Then getting tunnel vision over the "obvious" line.

It is a great route.
abseil 05 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:

> ....reading the description then forgetting it all almost the instant I set off. Then getting tunnel vision over the "obvious" line...

No problem. I'm just waiting for the day someone goes off route on Cenotaph Corner (this isn't a dig at you, it's my homage to Joe Brown!)
OP stemill 05 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

To be fair the route name kinda suggests you would take the most direct line!
abseil 05 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:

> To be fair the route name kinda suggests you would take the most direct line!

It got me wondering though, what's the most off route anyone has ever been in history*?? (Again, this is a real pondering and not at all a dig at you!)

(*The Ascent of Rum Doodle doesn't count - fiction)
OP stemill 05 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

It's as easy to go off route as it is to go off topic!
abseil 05 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:

> It's as easy to go off route as it is to go off topic!

Sorry about that! OK - back to the topic - I'm sorry that I haven't done or tried Resolution Direct (see how much use I am!) I hope someone replies on the topic soon.
OP stemill 05 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

No worries! A discussion of off route adventures deserves it's own thread. I could probably add a post or two!
abseil 05 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:

> ...A discussion of off route adventures deserves it's own thread....

Too right. Actually Gogarth is prime ground for going off route - and other epics (I specialize in the latter). (But for a 5-star going off route story, I was thinking e.g. someone starting up Main Wall on Cyrn Las and finishing up the Skull - that would be something!)
 Ian Parsons 06 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

> It got me wondering though, what's the most off route anyone has ever been in history*?? (Again, this is a real pondering and not at all a dig at you!)

> (*The Ascent of Rum Doodle doesn't count - fiction)

Hannibal Barca's spectacularly imprecise 218-217 winter Everest attempt?
cb294 06 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

> It got me wondering though, what's the most off route anyone has ever been in history*??

Peter Habeler (the guy who climbed Everest w/o oxygen with Messner) managed to guide a party to the wrong summit on his first trip after passing his guide´s exams.

CB

abseil 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Hannibal Barca's spectacularly imprecise 218-217 winter Everest attempt?

That's pretty good, and will take some beating....
 Ian Parsons 06 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

I assume that was when the "pied d'éléphant" first gained currency as an item of bivouac equipment. I don't know whether uses were found for other parts of the beast; off the top of my head the only remaining climbing-related pachyderm reference that springs readily to mind is the somewhat unsavoury descriptive term applied to various flared, bulging cracks at Almscliff, Brimham and suchlike.
OP stemill 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Is there a delete thread button anywhere?! I'm outta here - have fun.
 Ian Parsons 06 Jul 2015
In reply to stemill:

Yes - sorry about that; we appear to have strayed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...