UKC

BMC the five biggest pitfalls to avoid when scrambling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blimey 05 Jul 2015

I am a member of the BMC and I think that on the whole they do a good job. But when they send me an email with a link to articles about scrambling I would, at the very least, expect the route descriptions to be correct:

"Newbie scramblers beware: despite its lowly grading, Jack’s Rake does require some basic climbing skills. The most technical section – a narrow shoot of upright rock known as Gwynne’s Chimney – will ambush you soon after the rowan tree.

This chimney requires an awkward bridging move,” explains Joe. “It’s very polished and can be wet, but it gives the climber a feeling of safety because you’re in a groove away from the worst of the exposure.”

Unless I am mistaken Gwynne's Chimney is the polished V Diff that starts from the right hand side of the ledge on Jacks Rake? It is definitely not part of the jacks Rake scramble.
Post edited at 09:49
 David Rose 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Blimey:

I'm not sure about the nomenclature of the various bits but I think the trickiest part of Jack's Rake for someone who isn't experienced is towards the end, where there is an exposed traverse and then a final step up. In less than ideal conditions, this can feel quite serious.
Blimey 05 Jul 2015
In reply to David Rose:

I would go along with that.
Perhaps I should have been more assertive. Gwynne's Chymney is a graded route and not part of Jacks Rake. On a wet day best climbed clad in Tweed whilst smoking a pipe.
 Chris Murray 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Blimey:

True. Except the Tweed bit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...