UKC

OS Grid References and Google Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 08 Jul 2015
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but nowhere else seemed suitable.

I've recently purchased the new 'Wired Guides - Lake Dristrict Rock' for an upcoming trip to the Lake District (first time we've been there).

The book is great, however it gives OS Grid References for the locations of car-parks and craggs (as i'm sure is common with many other guidebooks), these tend to be in the from 'NY 264 977' or 'SD 32169 99881' and google maps doesn't seem to recognise these.

Anyone know of a way to convert between these and something google maps can understand. Ideally I want to bookmark all of the crags and car-parks into my smartphone before we set off to make life eaiser when we are there.

I'm sure I'm not the first climber to have encountered this problem and I'm hoping the collective wisdom of UKC can help me out.

Cheers

Lee
 cathsullivan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Streetmap does OS grid references.

JamButty 08 Jul 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

ooh thats much nicer than the other website I use, nice one Christopher....
 IPPurewater 08 Jul 2015
In reply to SuperLee1985:
This will convert to Lat Long if that is any help.

http://www.nearby.org.uk/coord.cgi?p=&f=conv

I like the gridreferencefinder !
Post edited at 13:39
 JamButty 08 Jul 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thats the one I used I referred to, but the other is much simpler.
 ChrisJD 08 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

The right mouse click on the map is a really nice feature, with full summary again at bottom page.

You can export all the Points to Google Earth Desktop as a KML, but not sure how to get these points into the Browser Google Maps to Save as Map Bookmarks (the yellow stars) as wanted by the OP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...