UKC

Switching fibre provider but not phone line

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 08 Jul 2015
Is it possible to get fibre broadband from a different supplier to your phone line (in the way you can get adsl broadband from one)?

I'm with BT, who give me a good price for adsl + phone but their fibre price is £14 more. I have line rental saver on 12 month until January, but broadband contract ends now.

If I move to another ADSL provider, BT automatically recontract my phone for 12 months (still out of sync with the line rental saver). If I switch to another fibre provider they seem to want my phone line too and I lose 6 months of line rental saver paid in advance (no refund).

Seems my only option is to stay out of contract with BT for 6 months (paying extra for caller display) and switch both next year. Unless there are fibre providers that don't supply the phone service too - hence my original question.
In reply to Philip:

Well I'm with Virgin Media, who I'm sure do Fibre only deals. The cable is obviously completely separate to your phone line so I don't see that being a problem, however with the cost of installation and it being a non-package deal I think you would lose considerably more money attempting this tactic than just fronting with BT surely?
 itsThere 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Philip:
They dont run a standard fibre to your house. Its a standard RG coax cable run into your house, which may be different from company to company ro so they say. Its worth checking if you go with one company and that if you switch to another they can still use the same kit for fibre and you wont end up paying more because of this.
Post edited at 08:26
OP Philip 09 Jul 2015
I'm talking about FTTC not FTTP. So this doesn't involve any change to the cable to my house.

It's more a question of - can fibre broadband be run over the line by a different company to the phone provider? With adsl it can because they just lease the line through BT.
Removed User 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Philip:
Don't you have a mobile? Virgin's fibre only deals are skyrocketing because people don't really use house phones anymore. You'd prob be better getting a VOIP line through skype if you really insist on keeping a house phone. Much cheaper too.
Post edited at 09:50
OP Philip 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Yes I have a mobile. I live in a village with no signal and I hate using my mobile for home phone calls. I am quite happy with £7 / month from BT for unlimited phone calls. I just think £13 /month more for fibre is a lot, but all the cheaper fibre deals involve moving my phone line with change of number, and cost for cancelling line rental.

If I was simply switching existing adsl2 broadband to another provider this is simple.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...