UKC

Inherited Gestures?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 10 Jul 2015
I remember, as a kid, I'd be with my dad in the garden and if he heard an aircraft flying in the vicinity he would invariably look skywards.

Today I was aware of doing the same and then, when I thought about it, I realised I have been doing so for almost as long as I can remember. Did I do it because my old dad did I wonder?

Anyone else got anything similar?
m0unt41n 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything
Oscar Wilde
 jon 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Probably because that's where the sound of a plane comes from. You'd look daft staring down at the ground trying to locate it...
Post edited at 18:57
 Timmd 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
My dad and I both walk around with our left shoulder raised/tense when out and about in public, as if any stresses to do with that end up located there. It happens that we're both left handed too.
Post edited at 19:02
 Timmd 10 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:
> Probably because that's where the sound of a plane comes from. You'd look daft staring down at the ground trying to locate it...

Though some people aren't fussed about scanning for planes...it could be learnt/absorbed behaviour?
Post edited at 19:07
 Timmd 10 Jul 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:
> The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything

> Oscar Wilde

I think that's really profound, as a comment on people's outlook or nature, rather than literally.
Post edited at 19:06
Clauso 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Apparently, Num Num inherited making a gesture of loving his missus from father Num Num.
 Dave the Rave 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Me and my dad both have an infective laugh.
Clauso 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Me and my dad both have an infective laugh.

So I've heard. Last time that the pair of you went to see a comedian, half the audience went down with TB. .. You ought to both be culled like badgers.
 Dave the Rave 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> So I've heard. Last time that the pair of you went to see a comedian, half the audience went down with TB. .. You ought to both be culled like badgers.

Not far from the truth
Badgers are too clever for culling.
 Tom Valentine 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

They need to learn a bit more road sense, though.
 sbc_10 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Driving along the road in the car I raise my right hand with fingers still touching the steering wheel to check the speed off the dashboard. There is no real benefit in doing it this way, it is just like my old dad used to do it.
 colinakmc 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Re the original post - did your dad serve in WW2? Mine was in the RAF and right through the 50s and most of the 60s he used to run out the back door to peer up at the unsuspecting Dakota or Comet trundling past. Reckon it came from the need to identify whether an aircraft was British or German.
And of course in the 50s there were a lot less aircraft up there....

And yes, I do it too, at least when I'm in the hills(not at home, I'm on one of the approach paths to Glasgow Airport- I'd be driven mad!
 Wsdconst 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Whenever anything flies above I automatically turn into an excited toddler and rush to the nearest window/door to see what it is,the louder it is,the more giddy I become.then when it's flown over and I turn to face whoever I'm with they look/comment in disbelief of how I just acted.screw em though, it's whatever floats your boat.
 marsbar 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I met a distant cousin of my grandad. They had never met until they were in their 60s or 70s as the different branches of the family tree had gone to different places. However they had handwriting that was the same, and facial gestures as well. Quite spooky.
 Skyfall 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I've always waved my hands around a lot when speaking. My other half and others have often commented. I met my genetic parents for the first time about two years ago and my father does exactly the same. Which weirds me out quite a lot !
aultguish 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Always look to the sky and rush out of my house to view too.
Difference being now, that if it's a helicopter, I'm looking to see if I know the company it belongs too and therefore if it's any of my mates flying
OP mypyrex 10 Jul 2015
In reply to colinakmc:

> Re the original post - did your dad serve in WW2?

Not in the military but he was always interested in aircraft. When I had my PPL I sometimes took him up in a Tiger Moth. He loved it.

OP mypyrex 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Whenever anything flies above I automatically turn into an excited toddler and rush to the nearest window/door to see what it is,the louder it is,the more giddy I become.then when it's flown over and I turn to face whoever I'm with they look/comment in disbelief of how I just acted.screw em though, it's whatever floats your boat.

Likewise. Despite being a bit Mutt and Jeff I can still tell if a distant aircraft is a Spitfire.

BusyLizzie 11 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

My son has a lot of my husband's funny faces, especially when quizzical or laughing at me - it's very funny and lovable, seeing the son version of the dad's face.
 Trangia 11 Jul 2015
In reply to marsbar:
I know what you mean. My 46 year old son's handwriting is identical to mine, to the extent that I have encountered documents written by him and thought "when on earth did I write that?"

I did not teach him to write or influence it because I was divorced and he was brought up by my ex and her second husband.
Post edited at 07:34
 Timmd 12 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
> Not in the military but he was always interested in aircraft. When I had my PPL I sometimes took him up in a Tiger Moth. He loved it.

Tiger Moths! I bet he loved it.

Post edited at 13:13
 kathrync 13 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

When I drive, I hold the steering wheel so that my hand is on the "spoke" of the wheel and the rim runs between my little finger and my ring finger. I never thought anything of it, but last time I drove Mum somewhere she commented that Dad holds the wheel like that too.
Jim C 13 Jul 2015
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Driving along the road in the car I raise my right hand with fingers still touching the steering wheel to check the speed off the dashboard.

I presume your Seat or steering wheel (or both) don't adjust so that you can see the important indicators on the dash. Done once you will never have to move your fingers again.
Jim C 13 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I now do 'Dad Dancing'

Does that count?
 AlisonSmiles 13 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

My Gran died when I was 7. We only saw her for a week or two each year (summer hols & Christmases). We got to see an old cine film of a wedding she was at, and oh my word, it was like looking in a mirror. Hard to exactly describe but something about hands and head movements co-ordinating.
ultrabumbly 13 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

A couple of weeks after my dad passed so did my uncle (his brother in law). I went to that second funeral as a pall bearer. My dad had left his home town at 30 , after sadly being widowed not long after his first marriage, to start over and the only people he (and later we after he met my mum and I popped along) visited there after and for the following 40+ years were his sister and their family.

At my uncle's funeral many old ladies came up to me to ask if I was "Johnny's boy?" I was shocked as though I was very close to my dad, physically nothing was the same between us apart from being athletic. I am much taller and have different colour eyes and hair and a totally different accent having grown up at the opposite end of Britain.

Around the 5th time this happened I asked the old lady how she knew and they all started chiming in that I stood and moved exactly as he did. One of the things I do apparently that is exactly the same is when stood talking to someone I shift some of my weight to one leg as I listen. I'd never noticed these things. It was a very surreal experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...