UKC

Easy scrambling on the SW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 12 Jul 2015
Want to take the Mrs for a day out near to us (Plymski) before we head up to the lakes or Scotland.

Can anyone think of some good scrambles that won't require a 6 hour drive just to get to the start.
 The Ivanator 12 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Easy Way Down at Wintour's Leap springs to mind, but still a bit of a drive for one shortish scramble ...perhaps integrated into a nice walk could make for a suitable outing.
 PeterBlackler 12 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:
There are a few good scrambles for fun/training I think...although we're clearly not talking Grib Goch here

Anyway suggestions:

Greator Rocks*

Leigh Tor*

Prawle Point*

Sharp Tor* ( Salcombe)

Start Point (between Dartmouth & Salcombe)

The ones I've put a * by are in the UKC database

I'd be interested to hear how you get on and other suggestions people may have

Pete
Post edited at 11:42
thepeaks 12 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Bos area - carn galver, commando ridge missing first 2 pitches, the ridge you have to scramble over as you approach the crag, plus Alison rib
 The Ivanator 12 Jul 2015
In reply to thepeaks:

Alison Rib and Commando Ridge (whilst fantastic) are not what I imagine the OP is after when requesting "easy scrambles".
OP fire_munki 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Yeah, bit too serious to introduce the gf too!
 Dr.S at work 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:
I'm confused by the description - is that the ridge above the plaque?
 The Pylon King 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I'm confused by the description - is that the ridge above the plaque?

No its the big ridge on the other side.
 Dogwatch 12 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

> Prawle Point*

> Sharp Tor* ( Salcombe)

> The ones I've put a * by are in the UKC database

Scrambles? Really? There's some esoteric climbing on Sharp Tor. I've walked the area many times and never seen anything I'd call a scramble.

Dr.S at work 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

cheers.

The bottom end of the coombe has a fair few scrambling lines - some bush wacking required natch.
 SteveoS 12 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Something at the Dewerstone?
Colonels arete after the second pitch is a scramble with some good exposure.

Apparently there's a grade 1ish up the side of the path to the top of the tor.
 PeterBlackler 12 Jul 2015
 Dogwatch 13 Jul 2015
^

Pretty hard to access. The rock accessible from the bottom path is definitely not scrambling. The top footpath gives access to a short exposed walk along rock (fantastic viewpoint) but to walk to anything else would involve crossing steep and deep bracken, at least in summer.

But come to think of it there is a short section of scrambling nearby. Walk from Sharp Tor past Bolt Head. The path turns west and in a couple of hundred yards climbs steeply up a shallow grass gully. On the left there's a rocky ridge giving 5 minutes of scrambling. Start at a small gully at the base of the ridge, move up and to the seaward side and gain the top (some prickly vegetation). Walk along the exposed rocky ridge to regain the coastal path.

I don't think this is described anywhere but I've done it a few dozen times. Not Crib Goch but a fun variant on a spectacular walk.

Toerag 13 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Are there any lea level 'scrambles' like we have here in Guernsey? I.e. scramble down the cliffs at one location, travel along the base of them for an hour or three, then head up at another and return along the cliff path? Obviously the magical mystery tour is somewhat hard for an introduction, but there must be something involving hands and feet without climbing?
 andrewmc 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Toerag:
There are many fine easy sea-level traverses in Devon The Rockfax DWS book details most of them. Many are good fun done out and back. I would recommend:

No match for climb id:45252
No match for climb id:112914
The first third of The Watchtower Part II (6c+ S1) (to Thunder Hole only; you then need to either or swim back but it is such good fun you will want to do it again)
Slightly harder Five Star Traverse Part 2 (5c S1) (and you may get wet getting to the start)

Shorter is the easy (4+?) variant of Labyrinth Pinnacle Traverse (6b S0)

All of these are in the Torbay area, and there are many more miles of coastline that can probably be traversed/semi-coasteered. The ones around London Bridge can be combined, with a bit of swimming, into a fun adventure day. Be prepared to swim though to avoid any sketchy bits you aren't happy with...
Post edited at 14:52
 CurlyStevo 13 Jul 2015
In reply to fire_munki:
would taking her up some mods do? (pitched I would guess)

Also much of commando ridge at bosigran is scrambling. You could avoid the first two vdiff pitches easily enough

The descent in to wintours leap is pretty scrambly also and there are a few mods there.
Post edited at 15:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...