UKC

Hand luggage: water bottles and multitool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 12 Jul 2015
I have always thought that empty bottles were a no-no on flights but heading to the Alps tomorrow to try and complete the Alpe d'Huez before the pros come through and wondering if I can bring:

-bike water bottles
- multi-tool (no knife!)

Ta
 DaveHK 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Empty bottles are fine in my experience, it's the fluids they worry about. Personally I wouldn't risk a multi-tool.
 marsbar 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

You may be OK with empty bottles as long as you don't get a jobsworth. Multi tool no chance.
 PPP 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I usually carry an empty water bottle as I hate paying stupid amounts for water in the airport. I once had to buy a bottle of water for like 4 pounds or so!

I would doubt about multi-tool. Though looking at the list here, some restrictions sound funny (especially safety matches or lighters!). https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items
 MonkeyPuzzle 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I stuff clean socks into my water bottles, so as not to lose any precious pack space.
OP Kimono 12 Jul 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Ok thanks everyone.
Bottles it is then but shall leave the mt at home
 mypyrex 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Surely if both are packed in hold baggage then there's no problem.
 tim000 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono: I`ve taken empty bottles on a flight before . I always wondered what would happen if you froze the water in a bottle and tried to take that on . the rules say no liquids so technically it should be allowed as long as you drink any melted water before going through security. might be setting yourself up for a full search though.

OP Kimono 12 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Did you read the thread title??
 mypyrex 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:
OK; but I still stand by my comment ;O) Why do you need them in your hand luggage?
Post edited at 17:28
 DaveHK 12 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> OK; but I still stand by my comment ;O) Why do you need them in your hand luggage?

Maybe he's planning not to check a bag in?
OP Kimono 13 Jul 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
Someone's awake anyway

So, through security and it seems that my friend has got his multi tool through!

GridNorth 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

You have yet to get back though. I had a small pen knife confiscated at Geneva some years ago. Your friend just got lucky this time.

Al

Neil Williams 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Empty bottles I believe fine, but you may have to get it out to show it is completely empty and dry.

Neil
Removed User 13 Jul 2015
In reply to tim000:

> I always wondered what would happen if you froze the water in a bottle and tried to take that on . the rules say no liquids so technically it should be allowed

I had a long argument with an Italian security officer once about the physical nature of Nutella. I failed to persuade him that it was just warm chocolate, which is obviously fine in bar form, but he wan't having it.

It was a really big jar, too. Still rankles.

Ciro 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

I once had a French security officer tell me she couldn't let me carry on a soft goats cheese as it was classed as a liquid. From her expression it obviously annoyed her almost as much as it annoyed me.
 tim000 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Ciro:

had the same problem with musili and yogut
 Roadrunner5 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimono:

empty bottles are totally fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...