UKC

Estate vs. Estate van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 12 Jul 2015
I'm currently running a Focus estate which is nice and economical, but I'm looking to sell up and buy a cheaper estate van, such as an Astra, as I could do with the space and I rarely have more than myself in the car, and could free up some capital for new kit and adventures.

Can anyone advise how the 'commercial vehicle' status of a vehicle like that may effect me, in terms of road tax, MoTs, insurance (I'm 28 with no claims) and any effect on my street cred.

Any recommendations for models to look out would be appreciated too.
 knighty 12 Jul 2015
In reply to lewismansell:

Can't comment on tax, insurance etc, but don't forget about any toll roads or bridges will cost more in a van.
 Dave Williams 12 Jul 2015

We have a Kangoo van and the road tax is set at commercial vehicle rates which if far more expensive than if it was the MPV version with back seats and windows. No difference with MoTs, but insurance has to be for a commercial vehicle. In my personal experience (NFU Insurance) this is again far more expensive than for the van derived car version and my NCD wasn't transferable from the car and I had to start from scratch with the van. I did phone up a couple of brokers and both said the same, but it'd be worth checking as I don't know if this is universal.

You need to fit van rated tyres too, rather than car ones, otherwise your insurance may be invalidated in the event of an accident. You're also limited to 50mph on a single carriageway. All van drivers ignore this but I have been stopped and 'spoken to' by a police dog handler (in a Transit Connect van!) for doing 60mph. Reversing has to be on mirrors and turning right at 45 degree junctions can be far more awkward/ dangerous without a passenger's help. Virtually all vans are diesel; little chance of getting a petrol version.

Advantages of driving a van are that you can drive like a total kn0b and the vast majority of other road users won't bat an eyelid as it's what's expected. Street cred ok so long as it isn't a white van.

Kangoos are great and the 1.5 Dci engine pulls like a train in all gears. Berlingos and Partners are very good too but avoid the 1.6Hdi engine at all costs. Astra vans good; great engine and easy to service. Transit Connects have an odd driving position (for me at least) and older ones rust badly. Caddy vans are basically Golfs without windows, which drive really well but if fully loaded the 105bhp diesel engine can struggle a bit. The 140bhp Tdi version is a beast.

Despite all the disadvantages, I wouldn't be without a van as they're just so versatile. Even my wife is a convert and drives ours in preference to the car.
 Billhook 12 Jul 2015
I drive a white Vauxhall Combi. Drives fine, just as good as a car. But even used as a private non commercial vehicle you pay £200 tax, my insurance is around £250 fully comp and including no claims.

Would I swap it for an estate type with windows. NO!! Mines insulated on the inside and no one can see in if I want to spend the odd night here and there. (But it is the odd night here and there because they are not the best suited to spending more than a few nights in - certainly in winter as it feels like you're living in a coffin.)

Street cred?? Do I need it - or care at my age? (65). Its got loads!!!! as its got my profession* & address on the side and probably makes all the holiday makers jealous when they see it.

*Drystone waller & hedgelayer
Post edited at 17:15
 Tom Valentine 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
Does a combi count as a car or a van at dumpit sites?
This would be really important for me.
As an estate car driver I can make unlimited trips during the year: a van driver would need to get a special pass and be limited to six trips (in my council area).
As for street cred and advertising - better get my "Jericho Walling" magnetics out again and see if they work a bit better this year.....
Post edited at 18:33
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> Does a combi count as a car or a van at dumpit sites?
> This would be really important for me.

You would be better to ask locally as different councils and even different sites may have different rules/different interpretation of the rules?

In Fife, according to a neighbour, who has a van, he is classed as a car for a small local recycling site since the only reason he has a van is for his dogs and the rear of it is carpeted. That said different sites nearby have different levels of jobs worth staff - at largest one they even try and stick their head in my car window just to check I'm not trying to dump trade waste. I don't think my neighbour goes to that one; no doubt they would inisist he is a van and needs to be licensed. I know pickups can be a problem at that bigger site also, and hence I know others who drive to the smaller one to avoid the hassle.
 Timmd 12 Jul 2015
> Does a combi count as a car or a van at dumpit sites?

> This would be really important for me.

> As an estate car driver I can make unlimited trips during the year: a van driver would need to get a special pass and be limited to six trips (in my council area).

> As for street cred and advertising - better get my "Jericho Walling" magnetics out again and see if they work a bit better this year.....

This is a cool bit of drystone walling. http://greatyorkshireshow.co.uk/uploads/images/Drystone_Wall_web.jpg

If you work by yourself, how do you look after your back for placing things like through stones?

Walling is something I seem to take to quite readily, but it's the thought of having to rely on staying uninjured for earning a living which holds me back.
Post edited at 19:08
 Billhook 12 Jul 2015

Here in N.Yorks it is classed as some kind of commercial vehicle but the guys at the site told me I could apply for an exemption from our council if it was only used to take household stuff to the recycling. This I did and no problems since.
 Billhook 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I do get sore/strained lower back problems from time to time. Perhaps every couple of years or so. A quick visit or two to an Osteopath normally sorts it out. I then spend the next few weeks pacing myself and taking more care when lifting -especially when I've got to lift stuff onto the top of a wall and twist whilst doing it!!

Its nice being outside!!
 Tom Valentine 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Your question about throughs is very astute.
If on my own, a mile from the road, I tend to use throughs that are long enough to "make the trip" but as light as possible in every other respect.
I have often split a big 6" deep through with a bolster chisel to make a couple of thinner ones. It makes sense to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...