UKC

Gumtree? Use or not? And why are all the users semi-literate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 13 Jul 2015

As in the title really. I want to shift an old fridge freezer. Thought I'd try Gumtree. I've received a few messages but I feel uncertain about proceeding as they seem 'dodgy'. None of them are asking me to do anything dodgy per se but most of them don't refer to the item in any specific terms and have appauling English. Typically they look something like this:

"Due of locaton I offert £20 can collet imediat phone 07xxxxxxx"

I've bought and sold lots on ebay and UKC and never had this kind of vague semi-literate contact. I'm increasingly uncomfortable about telling any of these people where they can collect said fridge-freezer in case it's some kind of scam/phishing for burglary targets etc.

Am I just being a snob? I mean, surely there are literate burglars out there too? Anyone use gumtree regularly?

Post edited at 14:43
 SteveoS 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

You could arrange to meet somewhere like a B&Q car park if you don't want them to come to your house? As dodgy as that sounds...
OP Oujmik 13 Jul 2015
In reply to SteveoS:

Would be an option if I had any way of moving it!
 goose299 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I wouldn't even respond to any response phrased like that, I'd just delete it!!
Removed User 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:
Never sold anything there, but bought a bunch of climbing gear in the past. I usually email em asking if they'd be willing to post and send em the cash via bank xfer, easy. Risk involved ofc but you get that most places, got 10 draws for £10 once and a lot of similar deals so I think I've prob got more than my money's worth out of it even if I do get ripped off.
Post edited at 15:10
 edunn 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I think it's probably got more to do with the sort of people who look for fridge freezers on GumTree. Maybe English isn't their first language and they haven't got much money. Not likely to be the ex-Eton type are they (unless you live in a student town)

I've shifted a couple of items before after receiving equally baffling texts/ emails. No problems at all except general social ineptitude from a few people (one guy didn't even say hi, just 'you got that table?').

Answer the door with a baseball bat if you're that worried.
ultrabumbly 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Are you looking to get some cash for it or just get shot of it? Some of the larger charity shops like the British Heart Foundation have larger shops that carry appliances in some towns and I know they collected a fridge and washing machine from my neighbour. Obviously they need to be in a saleable condition for the charity.

If you are getting new then don't retailers now have an obligation to shift your old ones if you ask(I presume they donate or recycle them, when they do)?
 Skip 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Literacy is getting worse as a whole. My current "bug-bear" is the constant use of "of" instead of have, e.g. "I would of climbed that VS ..."
 LastBoyScout 13 Jul 2015
In reply to edunn:

> No problems at all except general social ineptitude from a few people (one guy didn't even say hi, just 'you got that table?').

I sold a set of kayak paddles on eBay once. Offered to drop them off, as the buyer's house was only just off my route to North Wales the next weekend. Chap answered the door, took the paddles off me and practically slammed the door in my face - I was so stunned, I don't remember if he said "Thanks", or even "hello"!

He's the exception, though - everyone else I've ever dealt with face to face has been very pleasant, either as a buyer or seller.

Only time I ever tried to buy something off Freecycle - a bit of kitchen worktop for a bench in the garage - the house was a complete state, which wasn't promising, and the worktop looked like he'd fished it out of a skip after heavy rain, so I politely declined and left.
 jkarran 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

My inner snob does dislike dealing with people who send terrible barely legible messages in response to adverts, usually mixing txt-spk with something like English and referring to me as m8 but whenever I have they've turned out to be genuine people, usually with English as a second language which is one more than I have.

jk
Rigid Raider 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

There are some weird folk around.... years ago we advertised a small greenhouse, free to whoever would come and dismantle it. The first of about 30 subsequent callers arrived the next evening in a Discovery, the front suspension crushed down to the stops with the weight of a JCB engine the chap had fitted. The couple were odd and their son even odder, quite spaced out. Once they had loaded all the bits into their trailer we asked them in for tea and the conversation turned to walking, cycling, etc etc. and I discovered that the lad had absolutely no idea where he lived so I fished out an OS map and showed him his place on it, a remote farm way up in the Pennines. The lad was absolutely amazed to see his place on a map and at that point I began to get odd vibes from the parents. We managed to glean that the dad was a dealer in construction equipment, hence the JCB engine. I promised to come and have a look at the greenhouse when it was re-erected, ignoring the negative vibes. Months later I drove in my own Land Rover up the track to the place and was amazed to see the old Pennine farmhouse surrounded by a massive earth and rock berm, above which the apex of the roof could just be seen. The entrance was two steel gates about 10' tall and a notice that read: "Visitors: sound horn and wait. If nobody comes, please leave."

I waited, with a strong feeling of being watched, and nobody came. We later decided they were survivalists and the son's ignorance and the berm and all the material piled around the farmhouse meant they were probably digging an underground bunker. Each to their own , I guess.
 Hillseeker 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

ahem.....appauling???!
 Dandan 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I signed up to Gumtree yesterday to sell a few bits and bobs, we had three people come to collect items, the first were a young couple who had just bought their first house, the second a 40-something lady who was redecorating her bathroom and the third was a professional looking man in a suit.
Two of them contacted me by phone call and the third sent a text message in perfect English without a LOL in sight.
I had one more text, again in perfect English for an item that had already sold.

Have I just got lucky so far? I was fully expecting an inbox full of 'alrite m8 take 20 for tha table yea?', i've been pleasantly surprised so far.
 Thrudge 13 Jul 2015
In reply to toasted:
Appauling

adjective

Something of which Paul would not approve, but John, George and Ringo may find acceptable.
Post edited at 17:27
 Mountain Llama 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Used gumtree recently to freecycle sofas and beds which local charity did not want to take due to no fire labels. All were picked up by friendly Rumanian couple you had just relocated to UK from Spain.

If your still worried about getting folks to your house, them check the local charities as they will take functioning electrical goods and will pick up also.

HTH Davey
 Dax H 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I blame a combination of texting and poor education.
I have had job applications sent to me along the same line's.
One of my apprentices was tested at collage on his texting skills, he was given a composition similar to that of the op and had to translate it.
When I found out I went bat shit with his lecturer, they should be encouraging English and the use there of.
It's a particular bug bear of mine, I am dyslexic and take great pains to check and re check everything I write and can't be doing with lazy gits who don't.
 Wsdconst 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

There is a usual scam used on gumtree I've posted a warning on here before about basically it involves them trying to get you to pay a courier so paypal will release funds .basically if they want to buy and try to get you to deposit money via western union stay well clear.most people are genuine buyers though,a lot of people can't afford new or would rather buy second hand quality stuff instead of new cheapo crap.
 Ban1 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

call the number back if they answer you would get a better idea of who they are.(Europeans etc)

you would never sell anything if you pick and choose your clients
 cuppatea 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Skip:
> Literacy is getting worse as a whole. My current "bug-bear" is the constant use of "of" instead of have, e.g. "I would of climbed that VS ..."

Who disliked your post?

I agree with you for what it's worth, but personally think that using the word brought instead of bought is worse.
Alot ( ) of it is down to phonetic spelling. 've sounds like of and so on.

Whether that's the fault of the teachers, the parents, or the replacement of pens and books with computers is probably best talked about on Mumsnet (that WOULD be a good troll).
If you think the use of grammar on UKC is bad you should try looking at a shooting or fishing forum.

Edited to change om into on.
Post edited at 20:16
 Pekkie 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Dax H:

>can't be doing with lazy gits who don't.

Sorry to seem churlish but you've got a grocer's apostrophe - 'line's' - and a spelling mistake - 'collage'.

cuppatea 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Pekkie:

> Sorry to seem churlish but you've got a grocer's apostrophe - 'line's' - and a spelling mistake - 'collage'.

He's also admitted to being dyslexic.

Steve John B 13 Jul 2015
In reply to cuppatea:

> If you think the use of grammar on UKC is bad you should try looking at a shooting or fishing forum.

ATB bud
Andy Gamisou 14 Jul 2015
In reply to cuppatea:

> He's also admitted to being dyslexic.

Seems a bit odd then to make digs at others who might be in the same position and try just as hard not to f*ck it up.
 Dax H 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Seems a bit odd then to make digs at others who might be in the same position and try just as hard not to f*ck it up.

There is a big difference between making the odd mistake and using what amounts to text speak, as I said I have been sent job applications using abriviations and numbers instead of word's, someone mistaking two for too I would put down as being dyslexic but using 2 is taking the piss, especially when the job was for an administration assistant. One of tasks is to proof read and correct anything I am sending to a customer.
 Andy Morley 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

“The truly terrible thing is that everybody has their reasons.” (Jean Renoir)

This includes both the chavs one might encounter in Gumtree and the Victor Meldrews one might encounter in UKC fulminating about them.

Were I to enter into the spirit of this, I might expostulate about the temerity of someone who calls himself "Oujmik" criticising anyone else for their use of English - I don't BELEEEEVE it!

However if 'Oujmik' has reached that stage in life where he prefers not to be exposed to the aforementioned chavs, he really ought to avoid places like Gumtree. I really cannot understand what the world is coming to; such things are as plain and simple as a flaming pikestaff and yet these people persist in shilly-shallying about with their fridge freezers instead of taking them to the charity shop like a responsible human being, I really, really do NOT believe it (etc. etc. etc.).
 Hooo 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:
My guess is that they're semi-literate traders. Bloke with a van buying fridges for £20 and selling for £30. Basically honest, and the main risk is that they'll waste your time coming to have a look and then deciding that it really is only worth £20, not the lucky find they were hoping for.
 Hooo 14 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> I wouldn't even respond to any response phrased like that, I'd just delete it!!

That's what I'd do now, unless it's the only response and I need to shift it!
The only bad experience I've had was from a post on UKC. The guy was asking for a cheap computer monitor, and we were getting rid of some at work - so I went against my inner pedant and offered one to him ( for free), even though his post was barely intelligible. All I asked was that he called me first and we arranged the collection, as I was busy and they didn't like visitors just showing up. Sure enough, I get hauled out of a meeting because a couple of "dodgy looking" guys are here to see me. He looks at the monitor, scowls, takes it and walks out. No apology, no thanks, not a word.
So, based on my experience, illiterate post = ignorant twunt. I won't respond to a post like that again.
 ByEek 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

There is a scam on white goods you should be aware of. You sell something. Person collects and pays in full. Then a little while later rings back and tells you it doesn't work. You apologise profusely and offer to give you a refund. They bring back the product, get back their money (more apologies on your part) and off they go. It is only a little while later, you find they have stripped all usable parts from it.

Good luck!

There are many local sellers pages on Facebook, usually with "Mums" attached to it. We have had good success buying and selling local stuff.
OP Oujmik 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Hooo:

I guess perhaps you're right. It wasn't so much that I didn't want to sell to someone with poor English, it was just the number of similar responses, all with bad English and no mention of the item itself that made me suspicious. They looked very much like the kind of thing that arrives in my 'spam' mailbox every day. Just to clarify, it wasn't generally text speak or pedantic grammatical errors, it was just bizarre typos in virtually every word and sentences which didn't hang together.

The charity shop is a good idea, next time I'll just do that. I'm not bothered about getting money for it but it seemed better to ask a small amount as I've had experience in the past with freecycle of people just roaming in vans picking up anything they can get free to sell on and I'd rather it went to someone planning to use it.

I seem to have found someone genuine now, impossible to tell of course, but they asked about the dimensions etc. which suggests they ay least know what it is they're buying! They also agree to the asking price so for those of you hardline free-marketeers saying I can't choose who I sell to you can rest assured that I've only discriminated on wealth so everything is hunky-dory.

As for Andy Morley's criticism of my username, even with your Victor Meldrew filter on I'm not sure how you decide my username displays poor English - perhaps there is a traditional name "Woojmick" which you think I have misspelt? If you really want to know, I typed it by accident when hitting the keyboard, which appears to be the same way many of the replies on Gumtree are composed.
 SenzuBean 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Skip:

> Literacy is getting worse as a whole. My current "bug-bear" is the constant use of "of" instead of have, e.g. "I would of climbed that VS ..."

Are you sure they're not simply saying "would've"?

Andy Morley 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

> As for Andy Morley's criticism of my username, even with your Victor Meldrew filter on I'm not sure how you decide my username displays poor English - perhaps there is a traditional name "Woojmick" which you think I have misspelt? If you really want to know, I typed it by accident when hitting the keyboard, which appears to be the same way many of the replies on Gumtree are composed.

I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
 Pekkie 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Dax H:

> There is a big difference between making the odd mistake and using what amounts to text speak, as I said I have been sent job applications using abriviations and numbers instead of word's,

Don't want to sound like a Victor Meldrew, but....I don't believe it! 'Abbriviations' and 'word's'. I've warned you and now it's on your own head. You are staying in over playtime and writing out a hundred lines: 'I must always check my spelling and never, ever, use a grocer's apostrophe'.

Andy Morley 15 Jul 2015
In reply to 'Oujmik':

I'm not taken in by all this over-played denial. I suspect that 'Oujmik' harbours unfulfilled urges to go around wearing shell-suits, walk about in fluorescent orange trainers and to make repetitive and inane statements ending in 'ynoworramean'.
 stubbed 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I have had many good experiences with Gumtree. Although as others have said, always insist on cash on collection, no couriers unless they bring cash. Expect some of them to negotiate when they arrive to collect though, and price accordingly. I also have some responses that are not always legible, but if they are happy to come and bring the cash it's fine for me, I don't know what is happening in their life.

For Freecycle, I have also had good experiences although many no-shows. For Freecycle, responses tend to be less polite on average, but again, its usually because I want to get rid of things so they are doing me a favour.
One young man turned up to collect a microwave when we were emptying my late mother's house, he told us that his girlfriend was pregnant and they were struggling to furnish their own place. It could have been a made up story but nice to know that we could have helped a young family. We also gave him iron / ironing board and other things that they needed but we had no use for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...