UKC

Preston Bus Station climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 16 Jul 2015
5 designs for the revamp of preston bus station have been shortlisted and design 4 has an indoor wall...

You can vote here for your favourite design

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/council/strategies-policies-plans/roads,-parki...
Rigid Raider 16 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:

Having served on Jury Duty at the Crown Court opposite and needed to use the car park above the bus station every day for a fortnight, I quite like it. It works well and the upward-curving floors of the car park don't look too brutal. It just needs a tidy and remodel. The vehicle access ramps are terribly scruffy and rough but again, there's nothing wrong with the basic design.

However I think a climbing wall inside is a batty idea. No sooner it opens, some kid will fall off it and break a limb and it will be closed for elfin' safety reasons while they try to work out how to staff it.
In reply to cfer:

Nice sleek designs, but rather a strange place to stick a climbing wall lol
OP cfer 16 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:

I like it as well, like you say a tidy up is needed

They are incorporating a 'youth zone' into it as its severely lacking in preston with places for young people

One of the 5 will be built and a wall would be great and I presume the wall will be staffed as well as the proposed cafes and also closed and inaccessible at night .
 goose299 16 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:

What would a wall do to West View's business though??

I can only imagine the youth zone will fairly soon be littered with broken bottles and become a night time hang out
 Alan Bates 16 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> What would a wall do to West View's business though??

Well it might encourage them to get a decent route setter for the vertical wall sections. IMO, the routes set by Iain Vickers are good (I only lead up to 6a+), but the rest of the routes on the vertical walls are poorly set and appallingly graded, so I end up going to Manchester, or Kendal instead of the wall 2 miles away!
I always think that absolute beginners at Preston must wonder how the hell the grading system works and could get quite demoralised when they cannot get up a 4 or 4+ (which is actually more like a series of 6a+ boulder problems).
 Alan Bates 16 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:

Note that the spec was for all designs to incorporate a climbing wall and if you look at the plans they've all done so, not just Design 4
 goose299 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Alan Bates:

I'll give you that. I don't often go indoor but the grading does appear to be pretty messed up. Some are easy whereas the the same can be ridiculously difficult. I get that they may have a different style of climbing to the, but come on

I just hope it doesn't have such a negative effect that PCC decide to utilise the space for something (granted, that would take a fair while to come about)
 radddogg 16 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

West view is a massive rip off anyway. I much prefer the free climbing walls listed in Lancashire Rock
 goose299 16 Jul 2015
In reply to radddogg:

handy when those free walls are dripping wet though
 thespecialone 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Alan Bates:

i agree with you Alan my thoughts exactly and many others i have spoken to, That is the prob with West View some one needs to mention it to jazz that may help
 Neil Williams 25 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:

How about having a bus station on the site of Preston Bus Station? Or is that too obvious?

(I recognise it's a bit out of the way, but the recent madness of converting Fishergate to one way makes the bus station all the more important).

Neil
 icnoble 26 Jul 2015
In reply to cfer:
I think negative comments about the routes at Westview are not warranted. When Jazz first started route setting the grading was all over the place. Over the years his route setting improved dramatically. He also listened to climbers trying his routes and was quite happy to listen to critical comments. I last claimed there in April last year, and many of his routes were very good. Also Westview was very good value for money.
Post edited at 21:02
 thespecialone 26 Jul 2015
In reply to icnoble:

jazz doesn't set the routes on the main wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...