UKC

Where in Scotland this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 17 Jul 2015
Where are you climbing in Scotland this weekend? Forecast looks pretty grim all over, but if anyone has found a better looking forecast then I'm all ears!
 Fiend 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Ratho.
 DannyC 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
Potentially, potentially, with sun dancing and calling in favours from the Gods, the Angus hills? Or sport near Dundee?

Depends a bit on what you're after, and if you're willing to go walking/scrambling if moist, which makes it less of a gamble.

This 'summer' is doing ma nut.

Good luck,
D.
Post edited at 10:54
 CurlyStevo 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Hawkcraig saturday
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcvwuukn6#?fcTime=14371...

The angus quarries and abroath sea cliffs look possible too

Hawkcraig and Arbroath both seem to get more favourable weather than the areas around them. Hawkcraig dries very very fast and Arbroath quite quickly.

Sunday Loudon Hill or somewhere near Glasgow - doesn't look good weather wise until late morning / afternoon. I don't know how quick drying loudon hill is but there are other options in that area.
 CurlyStevo 17 Jul 2015
In reply to DannyC:
Hmm not sure I'd take a punt on the angus hills Saturday, even kirriemuir doesn't look like a great plan, still you never know I guess.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfjex8g0r#?fcTime=14371...

Aberdeen sea cliffs, especially those south of Aberdeen may be ok, although if there is bad weather I tend to find driving north is starts at stonehaven and the sea cliffs are all north of there. Still you could try that early morning and move south to Arbroath sport climbing if you get rained off.

That said if you have never been to hawcraig its pretty good at HVS and under.

The pass of ballater looks ok too, but not really anything under VS
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfjudctuv#?fcTime=14371...
Post edited at 11:02
 Rob Parsons 17 Jul 2015
In reply to DannyC:

> This 'summer' is doing ma nut.

I remember reading in John Cunningham's biography ('Creagh Dhu Climber') that, after about eleven consecutive weekends of rain one Spring/Summer in Scotland, he'd finally had enough - and immediately emigrated to New Zealand!

CurlyStevo 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Its not been too wet on the east coast, but only had a few days in the 20's and not many that have been up for getting mountain routes done.
 Brian Pollock 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

North Berwick Law. Bit of a sun trap with good mid-grade sport and a very pleasant venue for a relaxed day.
 ogreville 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Northumberland and Lake district are looking OK on Sat. But as far as Scotland goes......Yep, looking grim.

I'd head down south, go to Ratho, or get into dry tooling!

Weather has been abominable in Scotland this summer. All grand plans for weekend expeditions binned so far!!! Better be an amazing autumn or I'm demanding my money back.
 DannyC 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

We've been swithering between Lakes and Eastern Scotland. Finally plumped for Portlethen area trad tomorrow, then just seeing how it goes Sun and Mon.

D.

ashtond6 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

No where! I left as it's so bad haha
 JohnnyW 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I remember reading in John Cunningham's biography ('Creagh Dhu Climber') that, after about eleven consecutive weekends of rain one Spring/Summer in Scotland, he'd finally had enough - and immediately emigrated to New Zealand!

At least we know it has always happened, and is not just some worsening 'warming' phenomena. I have been at this game 20 years up here, and I can't remember a more prolonged 'winter'......
OP NottsRich 17 Jul 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks for advice all, glad I'm not the only one struggling with this miserable summer. I was happy for the prolonged winter as I missed the start of it and appreciated getting some decent routes in. But I was hoping for a more rapid transition into summer, rather than eternal clag!
 DannyC 17 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo and others:

Hi,

Any recommendations of which particular crags to head to for a first-time Portlethen-er? Really looking for a good range of non-tidal (tides aren't great this weekend) routes in the VS-E3 band.

Thanks,
D.
 CurlyStevo 18 Jul 2015
In reply to DannyC:

Floors Craig which is quite hard to find and clashrodney which is good but mostly a bit short and easier to find, are probably the best non tidal crags south of Aberdeen which won't have too many nesting birds (that I've been to)

Pass of ballater would be better than either at the grades your after I think.
 CurlyStevo 18 Jul 2015
In reply to DannyC:

that said its looking a lot more sheltered from the wind on the sea cliffs today!
 Colin Moody 18 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Sunny on Mull today but windy.
 BnB 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Colin Moody:

Calm and settled on Skye this morning. Don't all come at once. It won't last
 DannyC 21 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks very much for the steer. We ended up getting plenty in, with barely a wet hold all long weekend.

Sickle Row, South Cove (only a couple of routes non-birded), and Clashrodney on Saturday. Glen Clova on Sunday afternoon (after Driesh and Mayar in the drizzly morning). Then Kirriehill yesterday.

D.
OP NottsRich 31 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Another weekend, same question... Are any of the eastern mountain crags (Lochnagar, Creag an Dubh Loch etc) worth a punt this weekend? Can anyone local offer any advice as to how wet they might be from the rain this week, assuming tomorrow and then Sunday morning are actually dry as forecast?

I'm a bit fed up of the central belt crags and want to get out in the hills! I think I'm getting depressed from a lack of climbing, so much so that I'm almost willing winter to come early!
 Michael Gordon 31 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Worth a punt I'd say.
 PPP 01 Aug 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

I've heard Ratho has some climbing.

Mind you, last Saturday wasn't too bad. Managed to get some climbing done and seen few people on Buachaille Etive Mor the same day. Although I am not willing to try my luck this weekend.
In reply to NottsRich:

> I'm almost willing winter to come early!

I'm always willing winter to come early!
 DannyC 03 Aug 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

For weekday-working climbers with an interest in Scottish mountain routes, this is turning into an extremely frustrating summer!

Grumble grumble.
D.
OP NottsRich 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I only saw this late on Friday and had made walking plans instead. Thanks though, I think you were right.

As it was, I had a great 2 day walk around the Cairngorms. I got rained on twice, each time only for 30 minutes and the rock was dry again within half an hour. Should have gone climbing! Still, it was a nice walk.
 Mark Bannan 03 Aug 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Its not been too wet on the east coast, but only had a few days in the 20's and not many that have been up for getting mountain routes done.

Agreed. Although the frequent showers most days have been difficult to deal with. I have been rained off more times than any year since 2007 (I lived in Inverness then tho). I have had 2 very good cragging trips recently, so frustration has abated for me somewhat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...