UKC

Beach Towels!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 17 Jul 2015
We're off on our hols soon to Sorrento.
It may seem a silly question but having never really done a package type holiday before we're debating whether we can use hotel towels to take to the beach?
We could take our own but its a lot of weight.
Any advice anyone?, and any top tips for things to do over there other than the obvious things we're looking at ie Vesuvius, Pompeii etc...

Cheers
 dale1968 17 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Positano is worth a look the coast line is stunning
 Dave the Rave 17 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

It's where they make Sorreen malt loaf. The factory trip is ace. Loads of free samples
 KevinJ 17 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Herculaneum is well worth a visit. Smaller but better preserved than Pompeii (can't miss that either!!).
A day trip to Capri is good if you have the time. Little bit of how the other half live.
Amalfi and Positano can be done same day using the local bus rather than the planned excursions.
The local train and bus service was really good when we went. Efficient and easy to use and pretty much takes you to Vesuvius and Pompeii.

A few years back, but we took our own beach towels. You could always buy one in town and dispose of it after if you want to travel lighter.

Billhook 17 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Surely there's more to do and see than doss on a beach - assuming you don't have bread snappers or rug rats with you?
 peppermill 18 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Eurgh. Why did I read that as Beach Bowels?
abseil 18 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

> It may seem a silly question but having never really done a package type holiday before we're debating whether we can use hotel towels to take to the beach?

Yes. It's absolutely fine to take hotel towels to the beach.
 Tom Valentine 18 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

Unless you live in Tyneside, where a missing beach towel can result in the police being mobilised...
Bogwalloper 18 Jul 2015
In reply to abseil:

> Yes. It's absolutely fine to take hotel towels to the beach.

I'm sure the hotel owners and cleaners will be over the moon when you come back each day and dump your towels full of sand into the bath ready for the laundry.

Bog
OP JamButty 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Surely there's more to do and see than doss on a beach - assuming you don't have bread snappers or rug rats with you?

Yep, just need a day on the beach to bribe them to walk up Vesuvius in 35 degC

So it seems 50/50 on whether I can take towels?

Thanks all....
 ranger*goy 18 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Sometimes the hotel has beach towels you can borrow/hire. They don't normally like you taking them to the pool or beach.
 Indy 18 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Take your own the bloody Germans will have hotel ones.
 BusyLizzie 19 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Your entrance ticket to the scavi at Pompeii, ridiculously cheap, also gets you into Herculaneum, the villa at Oplontis, the museum at Boscoreale (my son and I found the walk there from the station "interesting" but it is worth it when you get there if you are nerdy) and the villas at Stabia (my son and I found the task of finding the right bus just a bit too interesting and gave up and went to have lunch at the seaside instead but I am sure they are excellent if you can find them).

Any trip that does not involve walking down a street in Naples is going to be good.

Vesuvius is wonderful - you get a bus ride most of the way up and then a pleasant walk to the top. And then you realise why Sorrento is lovely and the rest of the bay of Naples is a dump: Sorrento is outside the volcano zone. Everyone else will, one day, get 15 days' notice of an eruption and will have to leave. Not a place to invest in property.

Curlyhelen 19 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Whatever towels you take be prepared to pay 10 euros to spend the day on the beach in Sorrento. I found one small public beach on Capri but it was packed and filthy... well that was the case 2 years ago.
Having said that spectacular views and coastline is beautiful
Post edited at 08:48
 solomonkey 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Curlyhelen:

10 euro to sit on the beach all day ! , after paying for flights , hotels , taxis , e,c,t you then have to pay for the beach !! That's one place off my tick list , paying for the beach ?¿
 john arran 19 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

They would need to pay me a lot more than €10 to get me to sit on a beach all day
 Timmd 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Indy:

> Take your own the bloody Germans will have hotel ones.

Bloody Germans? At Spanish classes once, all somebody had to say about Germans was to do with towels.

Brass Nipples 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> Bloody Germans? At Spanish classes once, all somebody had to say about Germans was to do with towels.

No stereotyping there then!
 Sonjita 19 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Get a microfibre one? Folds down v small
 Timmd 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> No stereotyping there then!

That's what I thought pretty much.
 Timmd 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
> No stereotyping there then!

A friend and his older brother once snuck down at 2am to the loungers around the pool at the hotel they were at when on a family holiday as teenagers, and spent a while rearranging the towels which had already been laid out, splitting the groups of towels up and making a decent job of it.

The next morning they all got up to see scenes of shouting and arguments from the people gathered by the pool.
Post edited at 23:24
 jkarran 20 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Use the hotel towels. Who on earth is going to stop you, they're provided for your use and it's not like you're stealing or destroying them.

jk
 Niall 20 Jul 2015
In reply to JamButty:

There's a small free beach at the Marina Piccolo, and the best way to see the Amalfi coast road & Positano is on a hire scooter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...