UKC

Extending phone socket for router with Cat5 cable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 18 Jul 2015
So I'll continue with my home improvement queries. Thanks for the stuff up to now.

I have one phone box into the new property. It is in the back bedroom (my daughters) which is no good as I can not have the phone an router/modem in her room.
So I need to change where it is. It is about 10mtrs to the place I want to beable to sit the router and phone. I know just ordinary phone extentions from B&Q are of no use, apparently I would look strength using such an extention. So I bought some Cat5 network cable with a sleeve style end piece so it will work just like an extention. I understand this stuff is the stuff I need to keep the power to my router at its best. Maybe someone can confirm this, I learn all my home improvement stuff from google.
Now I have been reading up and this Cat5 cable actually works off a different frequency (?) or something, and mght be too sensitive to run my phone off.
So, now I have the dilema. If I used an adaptor straight our of the socket into two. And ran my phone from one side and the Cat5 from the other, would there be an issue. Would my phone know where to go, and vice versa the router??

If you can't understand what I'm talking about then it is probably because I have not explained as well as I could or just don't know the terminology, so go ahead and ask.

Thanks.
 Route Adjuster 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dominicandave:

What speed download do you normally get? I manage to get 8Mbps and have extensions on the extended phone line running throughout the house (using standard phone extension cables I guess much the same as the B&Q ones), the router is a long way from the actual BT entry socket and all works fine and has done for years.

A wifi router or access point could be an alternative solution for you, doesn't matter where it is then. You can also get cordless phones, so you can place the phones where you need them leaving the base station where the socket is.
You can get power line adapters to enable you to transmit your internet signal from point to point in your house using the electricity cables already in place.

Lots of solutions, budget would be a factor as might physical construction of property and layout.
0Unknown0 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Dunno, I don't go live till Tuesday. Do these boosters just plug into the phone line socket, or into the router ans the socket? I'm expecting one but have no clue how it will work. A new socket would mean going under the floorboards, This is not an options, hence I am trying to bring what would be going under ground, overground. Do you know if you can use Cat5 cable for telephone?
 Jack B 18 Jul 2015

The building I work in uses a mix of Cat5e and Cat6 cable for all computers and phones, I would be amazed if Cat5 could not carry pretty much any signal for any voice/ADSL service. Though I confess I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do.
 sbc23 18 Jul 2015

You can use Cat5 as telephone extension, absolutely fine.

The first/only incoming socket is the master and has two cores coming from the street. Your extension needs to go into the 'punch down' connectors on the back of the faceplate. You only actually need to connect 2&5 to your slave socket in the other room (normally blue). Connect 3&4 for ringing compatibility with old phones (normally orange).
0Unknown0 18 Jul 2015
In reply to sbc23:

This thing I am just hoping to plug straight into the box. It fits straight in. That should work right?
 sbc23 18 Jul 2015

Yes, assuming it has the right connectors on each end. Phone plug with side clip (431A?) and an RJ11 at the other end to go in the router.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...