UKC

North Wales scrambles and climb advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom C. SW 19 Jul 2015

Hi all,
Heading up to N.Wales soon for some climbing, walking and scrambling. Currently making as many plans as possible (too many) and was wondering wether anyone could help with a bit of advice on a few things....

Cwm Silyn rockfall. I've been meaning to do Ordinary Route or Outside edge for a while, has anyone climbed here since the rockfall and have any info on it?

West face Tryfan link ups. Any suggestions here,was looking at doing something on milestone then heading towards wrinkle slabs but not sure how practical this would be?

If anyone has any suggestions on not so common nice scrambles/easy climb link ups in the area that would be great too?

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Post edited at 13:46
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

> West face Tryfan link ups

We started with Columbyne, then traversed right to Flat Iron Ridge. Unfortunately the guidebook description forgets to mention a long traverse left, so we ended up doing a direct version at Severe rather than Diff! We finished with Notch Arete, which is totally brilliant (the guide mentions various optional harder sections, we missed all of these out as they looked significantly harder)
 Mike Nolan 20 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

Not been up to Cwm Silyn so can't help you there.

With regards to Tryfan, you could quite easily do a route or two on Milestone, then come down the descent gully (Grade 2 if you can be bothered going to the very top!) and walk up to Wrinkled Tower from the base of the gully. It's not that far really and getting down the gully wouldn't take very long at all.

A good linkup which I did the other day is Idwal Staircase, across the top of the slabe and then into Cneifion Arête, then down into Cwm Bochlywyd and up Dolmen Ridge, then down Bristly Ridge. Very long day, can be made shorter by missing out Dolmen Ridge.
 ashaughnessy 20 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

The classic link-up is tryfan north ridge then bristly ridge, but you can do any route on tryfan west or east face to the summit, descend via south ridge, then traverse across to glyder fach's cwm bochlwyd face and do any route on there to give an alternative and less trodden way that is still a very natural and compelling "line" (i.e. it doesn't feel like doing a route, then descending then doing another route, it feels like a single mountaineering ascent). You could then descend via bristly ridge.
Anthony
 climbwhenready 20 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

Not had the weather for anything on Cwm Silyn yet, but I asked on the forums about it a few months ago, and got a couple of people saying it seemed fine. My personal attitude is that I'm going to treat it as fine. Search the older forum posts for more info.....
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

> Cwm Silyn rockfall. I've been meaning to do Ordinary Route or Outside edge for a while, has anyone climbed here since the rockfall and have any info on it?

There are dozens of ascents in the logbooks from the last couple of years, with no mention of problems. So it must be OK.
 Ramblin dave 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

We recently did a selection of routes on the three tiers of the slabs, then carried on picking our way up the rocks above the "easy way off" (I think this is the "Direct Approach to Senior's Ridge," but I'm not sure), and then walked across Cwm Cneifion to the Cneifion Arete. Then carried on up the Gribin to the top of Glyder Fawr and descended via the Devil's Kitchen. Excellent day out, would buy again. Wandering right from the top of the slabs to do Central Arete (VDiff) to the top of Glyder Fawr also looks good, although we haven't done that.
 Cornish boy 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The rockfall was last autumn, so don't be misled by 'dozens of ascents in the last 2 years'. Looking at how many ascents have been done since late Sept 2014 would be more useful.
 Andrew Lodge 23 Jul 2015
In reply to tommyciow:

We did Outside Edge Route in June this year, no problems with rockfall and didn't find anything that looked loose, seemed fine to us.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Cornish boy:

> The rockfall was last autumn, so don't be misled by 'dozens of ascents in the last 2 years'. Looking at how many ascents have been done since late Sept 2014 would be more useful.

Apologies.
There have been dozens of ascents logged since late Sept 2014.
Is that better?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...