UKC

Using 2 screens with Windows 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 20 Jul 2015
I would like to use a 2nd screen with my PC where it just displays one window / program and the main screen (its an All-in-one) displays another window(s) / program. I am using Windows 8.

Is this possible?
And do you configure Windows to do it?

I can see the options for making the 2nd screen mirror the first. Or to extend it.
But cannot see how you can either specify two different desktops or to specify that one window on a desktop should be displayed on a 2nd screen.

Grateful for all help since I do not want to buy the second screen to then find I cannot make it work.

ByEek 20 Jul 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

If you extend your desktop onto your second screen, you can show a single application in just that screen. You can also drag icons and stuff onto just that screen. It doesn't however operate like its own virtual machine.
m0unt41n 20 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Thanks. I suspect I am getting confused with terminology.
Yes having the desktop extended across onto the second screen but with just one application there would be good.
And with the main screen having anything else that was open.

Philip 20 Jul 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

> Thanks. I suspect I am getting confused with terminology.

> Yes having the desktop extended across onto the second screen but with just one application there would be good.

> And with the main screen having anything else that was open.

Windows is quite limited. I think you want to extend the desktop. Windows only supports a single desktop (unlike a linux machine) so you have to have the desktop span two screens. You can then move (by dragging) a window to the 2nd screen and maximising it just that screen. The other screen will have the other windows.

I think Windows 10 will bring multiple desktops, which might give you two desktops on different monitors - both with a start button and task bar.
m0unt41n 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Philip:

Thanks.
The more I see Windows 8 the more I like Windows 10 (or 7 or XP or 95 or NT or 2000 etc)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...