UKC

Google chromecast: a question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 21 Jul 2015
Does anyone understand this? As I understand it if I have a Sky or BT sport account at my primary residence I can watch them on a TV screen anywhere in the UK as long as I have my phone/tablet and chromecast dongle with me? So e.g. I could visit my dad and watch the Sky cricket on his TV using my account.

Is that correct?
 Philip 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Yes. Someone at work watches Sky cricket on his phone at lunch.
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Does anyone understand this? As I understand it if I have a Sky or BT sport account at my primary residence I can watch them on a TV screen anywhere in the UK as long as I have my phone/tablet and chromecast dongle with me? So e.g. I could visit my dad and watch the Sky cricket on his TV using my account.

> Is that correct?

I think so, I don't have either a Sky or BT account so don't watch them personally , however I have no problem moving my chromecast from TV to TV when I moved house. As long as you know the router passwords I imagine you'll be fine .

OM
 Matt250 21 Jul 2015
Yes you can (that's assuming Sky has chromecast support, I don't use it so wouldnt know). I take mine with me for work hotel travel as providing the tv has a hdmi port you can access you can use your media on the tv.
 Matt250 21 Jul 2015
Yes you can (that's assuming Sky has chromecast support, I don't use it so wouldnt know). I take mine with me for work hotel travel as providing the tv has a hdmi port you can access you can use your media on the tv.
 Joyce 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Morning Camper,

Dunno if you've got a Chromecast or not but, if not, I've got a brand new, boxed up, never been opened one that you can have for the paltry sum of £20 (£29.99) new (inc postage).

Love from,
Joyce,
XXXX
 wynaptomos 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Unfortunately not as Sky do not support Chromecast. Tried it with their SkyGo apps and through the browser but it doesn't work.
OP Postmanpat 21 Jul 2015
In reply to wynaptomos:

> Unfortunately not as Sky do not support Chromecast. Tried it with their SkyGo apps and through the browser but it doesn't work.

Thanks, everybody. Sounds like Sky support is the problem. Is there a way of simply plugging my phone/tablet direct in the TV to watch Sky ?
 john arran 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

My understanding was that anything viewed on an Android phone or tablet can be cast onto the tv and doesn't need explicit app support. This certainly worked for me during Wimbledon with my new Chromecast - I tried to find in-app Chromecast support within the Wimbledon app but there was nothing, then I realised you could just cast the screen first and then open the app later and all worked fine (well fine apart from the woeful lack of bandwidth in rural France anyway!)

I'd be happy to corrected though if there are limitations I'm not aware of.
 Luke90 21 Jul 2015
In reply to john arran:

Just mirroring the phone's screen does work for almost any app but it's a much clunkier and less elegant solution and as far as I'm aware it's not yet available on all android devices. It's also rather dependent on the quality of the network you're connected to. A fast, modern WiFi network that both phone and Chromecast have a good connection to might give decent results. An older router or poor signal quality would give decidedly worse results for screen mirroring than proper casting supported by the app.

In essence, Sky have no interest in making it any easier for you to use your Sky subscription on any TV other than your own. They're happy to let you watch it on your mobile because they don't think that will damage their sales but they'd much prefer your Dad to be forced into buying a separate subscription.

You could try the screen mirroring idea, it might work well for you if your phone supports it and your Dad's network is up to the task. Alternatively, as another long shot, you could look into whether your phone or tablet itself supports video output to the TV. Various options are described here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-connect-android-tv-353...
 john arran 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Good info. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...