UKC

Climbing or rather bouldering in Normandy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tinytom 21 Jul 2015
So I've only been climbing for about four or five months but am loving it - climbing once or twice a week at the moment - limited by my less enthusiastic girlfriend although she does ride a horse and we mountain bike as well which takes up time. Anyway, I digress

I'm going to Normandy on the 8th August, specifically conde sur noireau. I think its an hour outside of Caen.

We're renovating an old barn, but I will have a day or two to myself so would be great if anyone knows any good bouldering spots I could visit? My girlfriend wont be coming so I wont have a belayer (we only top rope currently anyway)

I also don't have any mats... There may be nowhere near me, but thought it was worth a shot!

Cheers
 Adrien 21 Jul 2015
In reply to tinytom:

I've never been but I found on climbingaway that there's a place called Sideville near Cherbourg, which apparently has some bouldering. The topo is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TJdUd2NzdEOWRiOTFmOTEtOWZmZi00MmQ4LThhMD... I suppose few people ever go there, so I suggest you grab a soft brush with you to brush off the moss/lichen.
OP tinytom 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Adrien:

That's brilliant! Thanks for doing that for me. Now to try and understand it!
 Adrien 21 Jul 2015
In reply to tinytom:

"Access:
From Cherbourg, drive on D904. After the bridge, drive in the direction of Briquebec, continue for three kilometers then turn right on D152 in the direction of Flottemanville. The boulders will be on the right-hand side after one kilometer.

A few boulders are equipped with a bolt so you can top rope on them (32 to 37, with lots of variations)."

There's also a climbing gym in Caen (http://www.escaladeaventure.com/ ). If you have more spare time head West to Kerlouan at the far end of Brittany, there's about a thousand boulder problems (and counting) littered on the beaches.
OP tinytom 22 Jul 2015
In reply to tinytom:

Great. Thanks. I might try and convince my non-climber brother to take a trip to sideville with me.

I'd like to climb at the caen gym but I'm not sure if you can just boulder there.

Have you heard of Saint Clair de Halouze? after some googling there appears there might be some climbing there. It's quite close to me.
 Adrien 22 Jul 2015
In reply to tinytom:

Actually I just realized the climbing gym closes on the 7th of August, it doesn't say when it will be open again but I assume late August/early September...

I know squat about Saint Clair de Halouze, the only time I've been to that area was to take the ferry to Portsmouth I found this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TJdUd2NzdEYTA5NWI5MzctNTA4YS00Y2JmLWIwMW...
But it seems like it's only an update to the actual topo, and the link for the topo is down...
OP tinytom 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Adrien:

Thanks for your help on this Adrien! That looks pretty good to me! Just need to find out how to find it when im there, but I don't think it will be that hard.

I've also just seen that down the road to me is some climbing (probably need a belay partner for this stuff though) which ive kayaked past in the past near clecy/ thury hardcourt. Looks awesome. Cant wait to take my girlfriend (climbing partner) next year!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...