UKC

Reporting concern for a neighbour's welfare

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 23 Jul 2015
My neighbour is an elderly chap who I believe has had certain mental health difficulties in the past and maybe/probably still in the present. He lives alone in a (rented) flat above mine (also rented but a different landlord), and has started frequently causing water to penetrate into my flat. As far as I can tell, he either turns the bath tap on and forgets, so it overflows, or he showers without drawing a shower curtain, floods his bathroom and then this comes into my flat through the ceiling. Sometimes hammering on his door will attract his attention, sometimes not. When I do speak to him, he's apologetic, not sure how it happened and says it won't happen again, but it invariably does. So far, I've had to have my hallway redecorated once when all the paint ballooned off one wall, and the ceiling in my hallway bowed due to the water. It's looking like this will all need doing again shortly. He's caused similar (unrepaired) damage to the communal area as well.

I would like to contact somebody regarding his health, as he's clearly having difficulties coping with certain aspects of life, and not only is this affecting him, but me as well. If the water gets into the electrics then he could start a fire. My problem is I have no idea who to contact or how. I've looked on my local council's website, and they only have provision for reporting concerns specifically about an adult being abused or neglected by another person, not someone who is just struggling to cope with life on their own. I suspect he may be known to social services already, and I know he has someone who looks after all his financial matters for him.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate course of action or who I should contact to report my concerns over his health? I have asked my landlord to contact his landlord to inform them of the issues he is causing, but don't know if he has done this.

Thanks in advance.
 Bobling 23 Jul 2015
In reply to owlart:

Perhaps bypass the whole websearch thing and just phone the council?
OP owlart 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

Thanks, that's what I may have to do. I was hoping to avoid the 'being passed from person to person for hours' part though, especially as I'll have to call from work to contact them in office hours.
 abr1966 24 Jul 2015
In reply to owlart:

If you contact your local counci....ask for social care and say you have an adult safeguarding concern. You should be put through to a duty social worker who you can then discuss your concerns with...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...