UKC

Wings for Life Telendos - loose bolts - is it off limits?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 24 Jul 2015
I have been doung some searching in preparation for my Kaly trip in Spetember, and came across this link:

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/rock/routes/itineraries/scheda.php?la...

It says ther are loose bolts on Wings, and nott o climb it at present. Is this true?
 john arran 24 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

No knowledge of this route in particular but we were in Kaly last week and talking with locals it seems that there are quite a few routes around the place that have been put up with bolts that aren't really suitable for the coastal environment due to the high likelihood of corrosion, so until these can be replaced climbers are advised not to climb these routes. It's likely that this route falls into that category.
OP kipper12 24 Jul 2015
In reply to john arran:

It appears so. The rebolting project is going through 2015. I'll check when I get there if wings has been rebolted. I geuss a contribution to the bolt fund or local rescue team is in order when I get over this time.
 full stottie 24 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Athough I can't answer your current question, when we climbed this a couple of years ago we kept commenting on the scope for excellent gear placements all the way up! Would have made a fine trad climb if it was in France or Spain (although the bolts were handy at belays). There is also the issue of carrying the gear back down the path.......

Lets hope any bad bolts get replaced soon. Have a good trip.

Dave
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 25 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

When they say loose, they usually just mean the hangers, ask in glaros snack bar as they're usually very up to date on developments and you can pop some money in the bolt fund.

Also, wings and wild country are massively overbolted, so skipping a few is usual. Alternatively, take a spanner and correct it.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

They aren't loose, the bolts were part of a substandard batch produced by the Greek company Rocklands (now ceased trading) and are not to be trusted due to rapid and unpredictable corrosion. The whole route needs rebolting,

Chris
OP kipper12 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks that's very clear.
 Short&Savage 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> They aren't loose, the bolts were part of a substandard batch produced by the Greek company Rocklands (now ceased trading) and are not to be trusted due to rapid and unpredictable corrosion. The whole route needs rebolting,

> Chris

So do you know if this is an isolated problem, or is it possible that multiple routes are affected by this on the island, and possibly in other climbing areas in Greece?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Short&Savage:

Aris's site has a list of new routes plus quite a lot highlighted in yellow as ones to be avoided.

Personally I always check the hangers and if they are Rocklands AND they or the bolt look rusty I will go elsewhere,

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...