UKC

Sternum Injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bobstones 25 Jul 2015
On Thursday night whilst still warming up at my local wall I was going through an easy overhang with good hands and feet. I matched my feet and because it was easy cut loose (completely in control) for possibly a single second. Well during that second something kinda went crunch around my sternum. At first I thought it might have been an intercostal muscle in the ribs but the pain has definitely stayed in the sternum.

Has anyone had any experience of this and can recommend anything to aid recovery and suggest how long it may take? It gets better everyday but certain movements and particurly sneezing really hurt!

Thanks.
 yeti 25 Jul 2015
In reply to bobstones:

hmm mine went pop in an erm... sledging incident, had it x-rayed which didn't show anything

I think the advice was just the usual "rest it"

it did hurt for some time though

so, I was laying on my back on my brother in laws metal framed sledge with straight arms firmly gripping the side upright bars

took off down a short but 45 degree slope and one runner hit something and stopped, which also bent the sledge
 climberchristy 26 Jul 2015
In reply to bobstones:

I had similar experience 2 years ago climbing on my homemade loft wall. Felt strange pull in sternum. Not that painful but hard lump came up to left of sternum. Rested for a few days. Pain subsided and returned to climbing. Even now ( 2 years on!!)a slight lump visible on that side. However it has never stopped me climbing and has never been painful since. Very strange!!
 The Potato 26 Jul 2015
In reply to bobstones:

More likely its a tear in the pectoral muscle insertion. Cant see how you'd damage the sternum without a direct blow to it.
Rest for a couple of weeks should be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...