UKC

Swimming Goggles Misting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 26 Jul 2015
Can anyone solve this one for me? I buy prescription goggles and find after maybe 30 or 40 swims they start to mist and get quite quickly progressively worse till within a few lengths of starting I am watching the seeing the world through an impenetrable blanket of cotton wool. I've tried demister spray but doesn't seem to do much and I'm wary having heard horror stories of people using it incorrectly and burning their eyes.

Should I just live with it and get used to buying a new pair of goggles every six months or so?

climber david 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

I know that divers spit on the inside of their goggles, rub it all over then rinse. maybe worth a try and wont do any harm to your eyes

David
 neuromancer 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

Small amount of shower gel, buffed up with a fine cloth.

It's basically all anti-fog gel is anyway.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

A tiny smear of toothpaste - works well when snorkelling,

Chris
OP Bobling 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

This is a wind up right? Akin to cleaning a microwave with an egg?
 LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> A tiny smear of toothpaste - works well when snorkelling,

Diving masks have toughened glass lenses - I wouldn't use toothpaste on plastic swim goggles.
 LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

I find mine start to mist when they start to get dirty, so give them a good clean in shower gel and then spit in them before a swim.

Failing that, Speedo do an anti-fog liquid.

You don't say what brand you use, but I find Zoggs have the best anti-fog coating to start with - my last pair of Speedo goggles weren't great for that.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

> This is a wind up right? Akin to cleaning a microwave with an egg?

I tried it in Kaly after reading it on the web - deffo works, they stayed clear for a good 30 mins. Only a tiny bit of toothpaste mind, not a great white blob!

Chris
 StefanB 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

Anti-fog spray work well. Others swear on cleaning them with baby wipes before every swim.
 Trangia 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Bobling:

I have a similar problem with skiing goggles.

(That's when using them for skiing, not swimming)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...