UKC

A 'Hide Like & Dislike' Option?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 28 Jul 2015

Since there are mixed opinions about the Likes and Dislikes, with some people who positively don't like them, I was wondering what the powers that be thought about having an option where these could be hidden from view?

Like or dislike at will
Kipper 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Years ago I wrote my own add-on to do this - it worked on a per user basis, but I could probably have modified it to provide other options.

Get coding

OP Timmd 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Kipper:
I have got things to do.

Incidentally, I'm thinking the number in the dislike spot in my OP is really helping the debate on this topic, very informative, it explains exactly why people aren't keen on the idea.
Post edited at 23:27
 cuppatea 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> ...the number in the dislike spot in my OP is really helping the debate on this topic...

I wonder if the number of posts has fallen since the like/dislike option was brought in.

Are "likes" replacing debate?
Especially in the more heated threads, where posters may not want to stick they're neck out in case of grammatical error's.

Mal Grey 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Are we really not capable, as a (supposedly!) intelligent species, of simply ignoring something we're not interested in using? I'm not overly keen on the Like/Dislike buttons, though do find myself clicking on them occasionally, but I'm not exactly losing sleep over their existence.

Neil Williams 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Just ignore them?

Test:

Just noticed it colours smiley faces green and sad ones red!

Neil
Post edited at 11:22
 tony 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Are we really not capable, as a (supposedly!) intelligent species, of simply ignoring something we're not interested in using?

My thoughts too. And it's not even a question of not using the Like/Dislike buttons. This is supposedly an interactive forum, but it's impossible to interact with a Like or a Dislike. They do seem entirely pointless to me.
 krikoman 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:
> Just ignore them?

> Test:

> Just noticed it colours smiley faces green and sad ones red!

> Neil

What he said
+1
Liked

Surely they are a way of saying,"I agree with what you are saying" or "Are you mental, how could you possibly say that!!!"

But with a simple click of a button, saves time for everyone and storage space on the servers. Win win if you ask me.
Post edited at 12:13
 malky_c 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

What it is really showing is that people dislike your dislike of the like/dislike buttons, therefore they should stay

I think they can be quite illuminating when there are a large number of likes/dislikes against a particular post, but the small numbers of them sprinkled throughout threads are meaningless and can easily be ignored. If you are worrying and wondering why there is one dislike against a particular post you have made, probably time to put the internet down and go outside.
 Alyson 29 Jul 2015
In reply to cuppatea:

> I wonder if the number of posts has fallen since the like/dislike option was brought in.

Well I for one post less*. I truly hate them.

*It could be argued that this is no bad thing.
OP Timmd 29 Jul 2015
In reply to malky_c:
> What it is really showing is that people dislike your dislike of the like/dislike buttons, therefore they should stay

> I think they can be quite illuminating when there are a large number of likes/dislikes against a particular post, but the small numbers of them sprinkled throughout threads are meaningless and can easily be ignored. If you are worrying and wondering why there is one dislike against a particular post you have made, probably time to put the internet down and go outside.

I'm largely neutral, as it happens, from the point of view of dislikes related to my posts, it just seemed like a nice compromise, as some people detest them.
Post edited at 12:29
 Yanis Nayu 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> Well I for one post less*. I truly hate them.

> *It could be argued that this is no bad thing.

I don't like them either, and you are the acest poster on UKC, so don't you dare go anywhere.
 Trangia 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I LOVE them!!!!

Now I've finally got mine to work. I can spend my evenings hunting for crappy comments and giving them a like, and then disliking sensible posts! It makes UKC hum now for me.
 deepsoup 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Alyson:
> Well I for one post less*. I truly hate them.
> *It could be argued that this is no bad thing.

<resists urge to 'dislike' post>

You are whimsical and lovely and it *is* a bad thing. So there.
Lusk 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I want a 'Who gives a ....' button.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...