UKC

Belays/Stances at Wild Cat - how practical for 3 people?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 29 Jul 2015
Hi,

I'm thinking of looking at some of the easier VS routes at Wild Cat Crag near Matlock Bath, climbing with two other people. One's climbed multi-pitch, one hasn't. Both should be ok with the climbing on 2nd or TR. Are the belays comfortable for three people on Lobo, Manx, Jackdaw Groove and Broken Toe Groove? Any alternatives at that sort of grade? I climbed Cats Eye and Lynx last week - Lynx was very pleasant, Cats Eye less so. I'm comfortable that both will be able to climb the moves but don't want a lot of faff at the belays or for them to feel too insecure and not enjoy the climbing. We could look at 'Catwalk' as a long single pitch too.

Thanks,

David.
 johncook 29 Jul 2015
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Maybe best to avoid catseye as the eye would be a bit watery with three people in it! All the others I have had three or four (friendly)people at each belay. Catwalk can be split at the tree, again with up to four people present on various ledges and is a really beautiful route.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2015
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

We did Lobo and Manx as single pitch routes. Jackdaw/Broken Toe had nice roomy stances.
Cats Eye, Sourpuss, Pupilla, Cat Walk we also did as long single pitches.
OP SuperstarDJ 29 Jul 2015
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Thanks guys. Definitely not doing Cats Eye again. The stance in the 'eye' is definitely not that friendly feeling and the climbing isn't much better. The other all sound doable so we'll see how we feel when we arrive.

David
 johncook 29 Jul 2015
In reply to johncook:

I have done all of them as single pitches, but communication can be a problem, especially at weekends, and with relatively inexperienced partners.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...