UKC

Be aware! Theft from cars at Langdale Boulders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mary Jenner 31 Jul 2015
Climbing gear, tools, phone, wallet etc were stolen from our cars parked at Langdale Boulders yesterday evening. So don't make the same mistake we did and think leaving stuff in your car in the Lakes is safe

If anyone has ever successfully tracked down a stolen android phone (with no tracking software installed) or stolen climbing gear - it would be great to hear how you did it...

Thanks

schloosh 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

If you were logged into your google account as the user on your phone it will be tracked anyway:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/timeline

Filter by the date & day you want and it's pretty accurate.
 ChrisJD 31 Jul 2015
In reply to schloosh:

Unless the 'tracking' option is turned off.
 Gael Force 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

Thefts from cars in the Lakes have increased a lot this year right across the area.
 Oldsign 31 Jul 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Perhaps worryingly, I only just turned mine on and it has records for my location, its best guess at my mode of transport, occasional gps coordinates and photos I've taken along the way, all going back two years.

Big brother is watching from your pocket it would seem
 Fiona Reid 31 Jul 2015
In reply to schloosh:
I *think* the google location stuff will only work if you've had location turned on and had enabled Google Location History too.

I've just checked with my phone which I frequently use with location on (e.g. using GPS for maps etc) however as I've never enabled Google Location History my history map is entirely blank.

Re. the stolen phone make sure you do the following (if you've not already):

* Contact your network provider to get the sim disabled so no one can run up a bill on your account
* Get the IMEI number for the phone black listed via your network provider. This means the phone won't be able to be connected to any network and thus the thieves end up with something fairly useless. The IMEI number is on the original box for the phone or your network provider may know it if you bought the phone from them.
* Change any passwords for any accounts you used from your phone (e.g. google, yahoo, bank account details, ebay etc etc).

It's a truly crap thing to happen and in an area I'd previously not regarded as particularly dodgy

Post edited at 14:52
 Fiona Reid 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Gael Force:
> Thefts from cars in the Lakes have increased a lot this year right across the area.

Not good

After last years reports of folks having stuff stolen from the foot of crags we now climb with wallets/phones in a small rucksack in the Lakes. I'd kinda assumed the car was reasonably okay... time for a rethink perhaps.
Post edited at 14:52
 Niall_li 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:
bit too late I guess, but download device manager from google on android and you can do a google search for where you phone currently is. My friend had an interesting encounter outside a house after a night out recently after tracking down his gf's phone!
 BnB 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

Was this from an enclosed boot or in view on backseat/hatchback?
OP Mary Jenner 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

Thanks everyone. Location history is unfortunately turned off but I never knew that existed so I'll do that next time! Android device manager tries to locate the phone but it just comes up as 'unavailable', maybe is turned off? Thanks Fiona, I've done most of that - just don't want to change my google account password in case the phone might appear on device manager at a later date... I'm probably being wildly optimistic though.
 Brass Nipples 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

Samsung has remote lock, remote location, remote wipe, and lock to SIM card. But obviously you need to have turned on. The features can then be done via sending a text with an encrypted code or if it has data turned on, over Internet.

Gave you tried ringing it, to see if turned on? Police should be able to get mast logs if reported stolen.
 James_Kendal 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mary Jenner:

Sorry to hear this has happened.

Try Google's Find My Phone service. You just google for "find my phone" or click the link below. If successful however, this displays a notification on the phone saying "Device located". But if it works, better than nothing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=find+my+phone

Or, if it's a Samsung, they also have their own equivalent. It might be enabled even if you didn't know about it. Other manufacturers might have their own too.

https://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do

Also, using the link in post #2 for location history, have you tried the "Turn On Location History" button? Won't show up immediately but maybe after a little while it might. I just turned mine on from the website, nothing showing yet. Phone won't get the new setting immediately I guess.

Keep trying these things for a couple of days, you never know when it might show up.

But I guess the thieves have probably switched the phone off so we'll have to rely on Karma to sort it out.

James.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...