UKC

Best Driver's Road on the way to climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 02 Aug 2015
Following on from the "Best Climber's Car" topic, what's the best driver's roads when driving to the crag. I'll start off with a few of my favourites...

1. The drive from Mold to the pass through Ruthin (but using the Bwlch Pen Barras road rather than sticking on the A494. Some beautiful sweeping curves on the bit from Ruthin to the A5.

2. Going along Blakelow road (from the A523 to the A53) to miss out Leek on the way to the Roaches - Morridge Top?

3. The Snake Pass to get from Manchester to the Eastern grit edges - but only when no traffic holds you up.
 Mark Eddy 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Michael Hood:

Whilst during the day both the Wrynose & Hardknott passes are a pain, at night they are transformed into brilliant roads and are a huge amount of fun. The Wrynose Bottoms section being particularly note worthy.
Also enjoy the Mold - Ruthin - Pass road, although haven't driven it for a while now.
 Robert Durran 02 Aug 2015

Garve to Sheigra.
 The Potato 02 Aug 2015

Denbigh moor road then ysbyty Ifan to Ffestiniog on the way to the moelwyns
 Steve Perry 02 Aug 2015

A65 Skipton -Kendal road up to The Lakes is so good that back in the late 90's the police had an Impreza for catching speeders.
Alness - Tongue via the Struie and Lairg take some beating, especially the 40 miles of single track from Lairg onwards.
Rigid Raider 02 Aug 2015

The Penrith to Alston road (A686 I think) is pretty good, very early on a dry morning on a motorbike.

*cough*
 summo 02 Aug 2015

Worn classics, crianlarich to the Coe or Lagan road.
 Ciro 02 Aug 2015

Margalef to Siurana.
Barbastro to Rodellar.
Pretty much any other minor road in Catalunia.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Ciro:

> Margalef to Siurana.

I'm not much of a driver, but always enjoy winding my way up the road to Siurana.
 buzby 02 Aug 2015

as you leave Dumbarton and the urban sprawl behind you and head north into the first mountains of the southern highlands and the adventure all lies ahead.
Also driving over the Rannoch moor as the buachaille etive mor comes into view on a perfect winters day.
 goose299 02 Aug 2015

Coming off the M6 at junction 36 to head into the Lakes.
In reply to Steve Perry:
> Alness - Tongue via the Struie and Lairg take some beating, especially the 40 miles of single track from Lairg onwards.

While we all love the single track roads of the north (especially the proper ones with a bit of grass down the middle) and they always feed the anticipation of getting near somewhere really nice to climb, I'm not sure that the need to slow down at every corner really gives a great pure driving experience. That's why I went for Garve to Sheigra - preferably late on a midsummer's evening with all other traffic left well behind, fast but winding, the best scenery in the world going by, idyllic camping and climbing perfection ahead.

In contrast, anything heading south into heavy traffic towards the Lakes or Wales definitely takes the shine off the anticipation of a climbing trip.
Post edited at 10:56
 alan moore 02 Aug 2015

Heads of The Valleys in the rain, knowing it's going to be sunny on Gower.

A365 from Tiverton to Baggy; though the three lane bits have been tamed a bit recently.

Enjoyed the driving on Lofoten in 1am daylight on empty roads, cruising in and out of the fjords on the wrong/right side of the road...
 alan moore 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

the need to slow down at every corner really gives a great pure driving experience.

Except maybe the Stac Pollaidh single-track with its new surface and wide bends: that's pretty fast...

Camm 02 Aug 2015

The A82 is quite good.
In reply to alan moore:

> The need to slow down at every corner really gives a great pure driving experience.

Only if it's to avoid coming off the road rather than because there might be a car coming the other way!
 Trangia 02 Aug 2015

I love the road from Capel Curig towards Pen y Gwryd with the view of Snowdon, particularly on a crisp winter's morning with the mountain plastered in snow. It's magical almost Alpine, and full of promise for the day ahead......
 Rick Graham 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Driving up Wasdale is always very special.
 Fiend 02 Aug 2015

A832 Achanalt to Kinlochewe (Torridon / Gairloch), objectively and without any possible discussion (particularly since most other roads mentioned are traffic-infested shitholes. I mean, Snake Pass, really? A65, dire. Or any Lakes road, FFS).

/thread
Post edited at 12:47
Removed User 02 Aug 2015

> Garve to Sheigra.

This, but I'll add:

Contin to Garve for the driving, the rest for the scenery (and the driving).
 Fiend 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:
> Contin to Garve for the driving,

Too busy, bumpy, bad road surface, not enough steady overtaking spots.
Post edited at 13:30
 Greenbanks 02 Aug 2015

The 'old' bit up to Langdale/South Lakes through Staveley and Ings. Once did Carnforth to Little Langdale in 45 irresponsible minutes
 angry pirate 02 Aug 2015

> Following on from the "Best Climber's Car" topic, what's the best driver's roads when driving to the crag. I'll start off with a few of my favourites..

> 2. Going along Blakelow road (from the A523 to the A53) to miss out Leek on the way to the Roaches - Morridge Top?

This is one of my favourite drives and I often make excuses to drive this route home from Leek rather than the direct route. It's also the direct route from my house to the Roaches.

Steve Perry 02 Aug 2015

I lived at Bettyhill for 6 years so know the Alness - Tongue road corner to corner. The majority of single track has really long sections of clear view and very little traffic, especially out of season, its a great drive.
The A65 to The Lakes can be a frustrating drive if traffic heavy but go early in the morning and catch it right and you will enjoy it. I think it was in the top ten driver's roads in the UK once in some Sunday newspaper supplement.
Your right - Garve - Sheigra is great driving, I could go with that, though the Kinlochbervie part to Sheigra is a little slower but by that time you'll probably be thinking more of which route you're going to warm up on.

got to be the A82 across Rannoch moor.

sweeping curves up from Loch Tulla, then arrow straight into the emptiness. then, when i catch that first glimpse of the buachaille, it never fails to take my breath away, even after 25 years of seeing it.
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Your right - Garve - Sheigra is great driving, I could go with that, though the Kinlochbervie part to Sheigra is a little slower but by that time you'll probably be thinking more of which route you're going to warm up on.

Just the right amount of single track to make it feel really special and to wind down for a beer on the grass by the beach while thinking about those routes.......

John Ww 02 Aug 2015

The Strines.

JW
In reply to Removed User:

> Contin to Garve for the driving, the rest for the scenery (and the driving).

Fiend's right; Contin to Garve is just too bendy - after that the road really opens up and you feel like you're heading properly out west. I suppose it's almost worth going to England every now and again just to really appreciate the open roads of the north (not to mention the quality of the rock and the scenery)
Removed User 02 Aug 2015

The bends and changes in elevation are what make it a great driving road. And lets face it, there's not much scenery in that section to distract you.
 Fredt 02 Aug 2015

Charleston Boulevard
 Mark Bannan 03 Aug 2015
In reply to buzby:

> as you leave Dumbarton and the urban sprawl behind you and head north into the first mountains of the southern highlands and the adventure all lies ahead.

> Also driving over the Rannoch moor as the buachaille etive mor comes into view on a perfect winters day.

Totally agreed!

Also the drive from Pau to Laruns and eventually the Pic du Midi d'Ossau in the French Pyrenees.
 FactorXXX 03 Aug 2015

Maybe cheating a bit and perhaps on the short side, but the military roads to St Govan's and Stack Rocks are a good blast. Especially if you've checked that the car parks are empty first...
 Steve Perry 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Fiend:

You Audi drivers, your all the same - want, want, want!!
 Wainers44 03 Aug 2015

Coast road from St Ives through Zennor to Bosi or maybe on to Sennen. Not fast, but compared to the rest of Cornwall a bit like driving through the land that time forgot!

The road winding up and along the top of the Verdon gorge towards La Palud is oreet I suppose
 Toerag 03 Aug 2015

A38 round the edge of Dartmoor is a cracker. I also liked the road up to the Pordoi pass from Canazei - got the turbo glowing cherry red on my old Forester on that one....
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Aug 2015

Ringinglow Road, arrow straight and directly away from the city, 10 minutes and you are there!

Chris
 ashtond6 03 Aug 2015

tioga pass!
 cheese@4p 03 Aug 2015

The Strines
 LastBoyScout 03 Aug 2015

Any road without any traffic in front

The A39 round Exmoor is the only road I've ever, genuinely, had brake fade on from overheating them.

Had a fantastic drive one moonlit night up to Dolgellau years ago - really enjoyed that drive, but can't remember the route I went.
 CPH 03 Aug 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

L'Autoroute du Soleil, without doubt
 FactorXXX 03 Aug 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Had a fantastic drive one moonlit night up to Dolgellau years ago - really enjoyed that drive, but can't remember the route I went.

Possibly the B4518 between Llanidloes and Llanbrynmair?
 kipper12 03 Aug 2015
Wot, no cat and fiddle, but I guess it looses out now because of the average speed cameras!
OP Michael Hood 03 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12: There are 3 bits to avoid most of the camera's on this:

1. One goes straight (at first) after leaving Macclesfield and joins the main road again just before the C&F - a dead cert to beat the traffic on the A537.

2. The next is a bit of a challenge and needs to be clear with the main road traffic going slow enough. Turn left just after the C&F towards Derbyshire bridge and then at the bottom turn right and try and get back onto the A537 before the car you were behind. Look out for bikes & people & some of the bends - really does need to be empty but the satisfaction when you get it right is huge.

3. The last is if you're heading for Roaches etc on A53; when you come out of the "Derbyshire Bridge" bit, go straight across the A537, kink left then right across the A54, and this nice little road comes out on the A53.

Use all 3 and you'll totally miss 2 consecutive speed cameras.

andrewmc 04 Aug 2015

Or you could just stick to the speed limits, which are there for a reason?

(rule utilitarian)
 Dave Rumney 04 Aug 2015

My personal favorites are Ruthin to Cerrigydrudion, Llandegla to Corwen and Chester to Bosherston.
Although they are only fun to drive when there isn't much traffic around.
OP Michael Hood 04 Aug 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod: At no point did I actually say that the speed limits should be exceeded, it's just that they're a bit higher on the alternatives to the average speed cameras.

I always find it ironic that you get these 50mph limits on wide A-roads with little de-restricted roads that are not much more than tracks coming off them.
 Chris_Mellor 05 Aug 2015

A303 south of Basingstoke west to M% then Tiverton to Baggy Point. Do it early on a summer Saturday morning and come back late-ish on a summer Saturday evening. Sublime day trip with great climbing.

A road from Ullapool up northwards to climb Conival or Quinag. Yum yum.

Drive north from Lairg to Tongue - double yum yum.
 radddogg 05 Aug 2015
The road to Trowbarrow

You can get air, wheeeeeeeeeee!!!
 hipyhop 05 Aug 2015

Vancouver to Squamish along the Sea to Sky highway
In reply to Dave Rumney:

> My personal favorites are Ruthin to Cerrigydrudion, Llandegla to Corwen and Chester to Bosherston.

> Although they are only fun to drive when there isn't much traffic around.

We lived in Coedpoeth for a while, so the Llandegla-Corwen-A5 was our standard route to Snowdonia, brilliant road.
Other favourite road back in the day was uphill from Calver to The Froggatt Edge parking in my old Beemer 323i which was a little 'twitchy' on the back end. Going the other way back down the hill, the game was to ride the roof rack on a Renault 4 (can't remember whose car, could have been Jon Stevenson or Joe Simpson).
 Flinticus 06 Aug 2015

Garve down the A832 and A890 to Coulags. A fast road most of the way, with amazing scenery.

I like the A93 from The Spittal ofGlenshee to Braemar: good road, all the busy sections are behind you and you're probably heading into the Cairngorms for a few days. The taste of adventure is on yer lips.

I read this thread and couldn't resist doing an article on the best drives for hillwalkers.

It's about roads that get you in the mood for a day out in the hills rather than exciting drives per se, though there's obviously some overlap:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7546
 wercat 07 Aug 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

"The Penrith to Alston road (A686 I think) is pretty good" - but coming the other way, Stanhope to Alston, then to Penrith over Hartside? You end up higher than the Bealach na Ba
In reply to Michael Hood: It's a good while since I've been on it, but I always used to enjoy the A483 south from Newtown in mid-Wales. I'd sometimes take that route, though a little out of my way, for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

That was before speed cameras and the like though, so what it's like these days I don't know.

T.

Surprising the road down the side of the Cuillin to Glenbrittle campsite isn't getting any mentions.
 Flinticus 07 Aug 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I thought of that but its not a long road and its bendy.
 BnB 07 Aug 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

It's not a road you can let loose on. Too narrow and plenty of pedestrians. The best road on Skye is probably the Bealach Ollasgairte, a mini Bealach na Ba, which connects the Quirang to Uig.

Besides, please drive carefully on Skye. We see a lot of accidents. However, for any city dwellers lurking, it is not necessary to stop constantly for sheep at the roadside. They have seen a car before and are unlikely to leap onto the road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...