UKC

Coffee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 04 Aug 2015
I have taken to having soya milk in my coffee when I’m out and about, it really like the mouthfeel it gives.
Whenever I try and recreate this at home using my aeropress made coffee, the milk splits and curdles and generally looks horrible.
I have tried letting the coffee cool down, heating up the milk, but all results in the same mess in my cup. What am I doing wrong?
 Kimono 04 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

what you're doing wrong is using soya milk!
It always curdles unless, for a reason i have never been able to fathom, the coffee is from an espresso machine.

Have you tried almond milk?
 Flinticus 04 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

How topical (for me)! I added what turned out to be soya milk to my coffeee yesterday: it split and tasted and looked totally rank. Milk jugs with soya should carry a warning.
OP goldmember 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Not tired almond, i tried coconut milk, Once. very odd, but didn't split!
 streapadair 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Kimono:

No, what goldmember is doing wrong is using milk.
ultrabumbly 04 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

the trick is to mix it with cold water first then pour the coffee on a little at a time. With most coffees it won't separate this way. The sweetened stuff with apple juice in it seems more likely to curdle.
 mike123 04 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Probably need to use steam rather than direct heat , not sure how to do this at home without an espresso machine . Also most home machines won't give you enough pressure to make a really good job of the milk . The OH and various relatives that breeze through here seem to try and out do each other on the ridiculousness required to produce them a brew . ( the OH currently requiring half/half skinny goat -which is half decaf beans with skimmed goats milk ( ffs )) . one of her relatives is vegan so we tried sainsburies own brand soya , which just curdled and looked just like baby sick before they get to eat real food , I did however make a reasonable looking brew with Al pro organic , which was the only other one on the shelf.
Edit : should add that this using an espresso machine that only somebody with a very tolerant and coffee loving wife would get away with in the kitchen. (eBay is a dangerous place for anybody with a bit of time on their hands )
Post edited at 11:04
 The Potato 04 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

no idea on that one but I really dislike soya in anything (also doesnt help that im intolerant to soya protein) unless its very sweetened its horrid.
As suggested switch to a different milk alternative, coconut (koko), oat (oatly etc) and almond all work well. Rice is nice but has a strangely sweet taste, which is fine if you like your coffee sweeter.
 mike123 04 Aug 2015
In reply to mike123:
Worth adding that each of the combinations that the wife and relatives come up with is given a name befitting a pretentious cafe in Sydney or Seattle . The half caffeinated , half decaffinated double shot with skinny goats milk has been dubbed " a w@£(er " in honour of the type of person who would order it.
In reply to ultrabumbly:
I've tried this too, no success, i've watched my cafe do it and they just chuck it right in!
In reply to mike123:

Are we talking a strove top device or a mini cafe shop version?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...