UKC

haweswater eagle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 16 Aug 2015
Apparently the male eagle is sky dancing and trying to entice a mate. Shame that the other eagles are away in Scotland.
Apparently the RSPB won't condone the release of a female eagle in Haweswater.
Why not? How sad.
Rigid Raider 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Yesterday we met somebody who rescues injured birds of prey. He told us with strong resentment that the RSPB rehoused the nesting eagle owls at Whitendale in the Bowland Forest because they had been preying on the grouse. His bitterness was due to the fact that, as he claimed, the RSPB killed the chicks when rehousing the eagle owls. I don't know if this is true or not.
Post edited at 19:42
OP Dave the Rave 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:
That would be nice. Bet the old fella is lonely. Why can't they be released in the lakes?
3 years ago at Buttermere, I'm certain I saw an eagle over the lake. Way too big for a buzzard.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Mmmm. It's probably the R in RSPB that caused the problems? Not being cynical
 Billhook 16 Aug 2015

It isn't that simple. The released eagle would likely return to wherever it was taken from. There;'s also no guarantee that they'd pair up. Like us they like a choice. All releases are done with multiple birds.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> It isn't that simple. The released eagle would likely return to wherever it was taken from. There;'s also no guarantee that they'd pair up. Like us they like a choice. All releases are done with multiple birds.

Oh.
Why hasn't the male bird fled north?
 Alan M 16 Aug 2015

> Oh.

> Why hasn't the male bird fled north?

I would guess (but might be wrong) it's a territory thing.

It is a shame that no other Eagles exist in England and the density is that low in South West Scotland that enough birds don't exist to repopulate. How much of this is human related i.e. illegal persecution and how much of it is a habitat thing I don't know.

I hope the proposed release in to South West Scotland goes ahead and some of these birds find their way to England before it's too late. It will be a sad day if or when Eagles become extinct in England (again). We have reintroduced and strengthened populations of Ospreys, Kites, Great Bustards etc etc etc in England so why not Golden Eagles?

On another note did they ever tag any of the chicks raised in the Lakes? (like they do with Ospreys) If they did are there any records showing where those chicks ended up? Did they go on to raise chicks themselves? Does anyone know?

RyanOsborne 17 Aug 2015

I spoke to someone at the RSPB about this. For a female golden eagle to be attracted to nest with the lone male, he'd have to demonstrate that there's enough food for them to raise chicks and apparently there's not anymore. So any females coming down from Scotland (where there is enough prey) would likely just return.
 RyanOsborne 17 Aug 2015

> 3 years ago at Buttermere, I'm certain I saw an eagle over the lake. Way too big for a buzzard.

What time of year was it? Could be an osprey, either from the nest on Bassenthwaite or a migrating one.
OP Dave the Rave 17 Aug 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

It was in February. Looked like a golden eagle to me. Never Seen an osprey but have seen plenty of eagles and buzzards.
 RyanOsborne 17 Aug 2015

Could well be then. Did you try to ID it at the time? I'm not sure what the range of the GE at Haweswater is, but if food is scarce in the Lakes then I suppose it might extend its range.

Apparently there's also the very occasional white tailed eagle passing through, but they're pretty easy to identify even from silhouette from the big rectangular wing shape.
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Could well be then. Did you try to ID it at the time? I'm not sure what the range of the GE at Haweswater is, but if food is scarce in the Lakes then I suppose it might extend its range.
99/c certain this was a GE.
> Apparently there's also the very occasional white tailed eagle passing through, but they're pretty easy to identify even from silhouette from the big rectangular wing shape.

Billhook 17 Aug 2015

Why hasn't the male fled north?

He's found a territory in the lakes. So he won't. It bit bird brained perhaps but thats the way it is.

Incidently some thirty or more years ago a species of albatross - I forget which, and only breed in the southern hemisphere lived in the shetlands for many years spending every spring nest building etc., It would have been nothing for the bird to have flown south. But it didn't unless thats why it eventually disappeared.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Why hasn't the male fled north?

> He's found a territory in the lakes. So he won't. It bit bird brained perhaps but thats the way it is.
Since they've been tolerated their for many years, I do wonder why a wandering eagle hasn't turned up?

> Incidently some thirty or more years ago a species of albatross - I forget which, and only breed in the southern hemisphere lived in the shetlands for many years spending every spring nest building etc., It would have been nothing for the bird to have flown south. But it didn't unless thats why it eventually disappeared.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that they ventured north.
 john arran 17 Aug 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> For a female golden eagle to be attracted to nest with the lone male, he'd have to demonstrate that there's enough food for them to raise chicks

So they're means testing immigrants before allowing them to bring a spouse into the country? Are they worried about foreign birds scrounging handouts, or about them taking perches away from those wot belong here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...