UKC

Chalk making hands sweat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kwoods 19 Aug 2015
Anyone ever find that chalk makes their hands sweat more? I wonder if it's causing a reaction of some sort... I went away hillwalking last week and my hands were completely normal. I got home, have since done a few days climbing, and when sitting at home having done a day out, my palms just don't stop sweating, a slight damp all the time that's impossible to get rid of. It 'feels' like it's the chalk reacting with something or other, but not sure.

Seems to only come on badly after climbing, and to a lesser extent when actually climbing. It's kind of manky. Any experiences? Cheers.
 john arran 19 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:

Climbing on rough rock wears away layers of skin and seems to allow sweat to flow more easily. I don't think it's chalk-related.
PamPam 19 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:

I've been told that some of the drying agents in some chalks may dry out your hands so perhaps the extra sweating is in some way to compensate? I know mine seem to just excrete all sweat in my body from just my hands when I'm climbing, and the worst thing is when that mixes with the chalk and makes the hold slimy. It is the only time my hands sweat - running, circuits, weight training my hands don't react in quite the same way as they when I climb or boulder. Very, very annoying.
OP kwoods 19 Aug 2015
In reply to john arran:

Hmm, will have a think - but my regular climbing is on Dumbarton basalt and it doesn't come much smoother.
 MischaHY 22 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:

It's thin skin. It is. No thinking required
 GridNorth 22 Aug 2015
In reply to kwoods:
A friend of mine carries a wet sponge on the back of his harness instead of a chalk bag when he is climbing indoors. He says it gives him more friction.

Al
Post edited at 10:42
 andrewmc 22 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

I used to find a quick damp wipe of smaller plastic footholds gave a lot more grip (the ones that get up to a high sheen of black rubber)... shoes rather than skin though. Also the problem indoors is the layers of greasy caked-on chalk which is definitely NOT grippy; I usually find cleaning the holds much more effective than chalk! Perhaps the damp sponge is doing this instead?
In reply to kwoods:

Supposedly dipping your hands in vinegar reduces sweat and toughens skin. Never tried it but know it's popular amongst tennis players!
 cuppatea 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> Supposedly dipping your hands in vinegar reduces sweat and toughens skin. Never tried it but know it's popular amongst tennis players!

I've heard of surgical spirit doing this.

Wet hands can grip wet objects better than dry hands, but the wrinkly skin isn't caused by the skin being wet.

http://www.nature.com/news/science-gets-a-grip-on-wrinkly-fingers-1.12175

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...