UKC

Clip n climb climbing walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevieb 20 Aug 2015
Hi, has anyone here been to one of the clip n climb walls? I'm thinking of taking the kids (age 9 to 14) to one of the clip n climb walls on holiday. Are they worth the price? And do you have time to climb yourself, or do you spend your time clipping the kids in,
Thanks
Tomtom 20 Aug 2015
In reply to stevieb:

I went to the one in Exeter around 3 years ago with a large group of supposedly responsible adults. I seem to remember sort of coercing the staff into trusting us more than they normally do with punters.
I think as a general user you might find it a pain waiting each time as someone comes over to do the clipping for you, but I suppose it depends on how well attended the floor is. From what I remember the staff have an Alan key type thing to do the clipping, so you can't do it yourself.
Some of the climbs/obstacles were pretty amusing, and a bit of a laugh, but probably more cos we weren't actually as responsible as we were supposed to be, and made a bit of a joke of it all.
Sort of hangings you find are towers that ascend, and you jump between them, climbs with rotating holds, jump onto a trapeze, climbing up nets and poles, speed climb challenges, and just basic climbing walls probably like grade 3!
The older kids might not be too thrilled by it, but depends if they're at the grumpy 'cool' stage yet.
I saw the new one in my neck of the woods is around 15 quid for an hour. Pretty pricey for what it is, and that hour will soon pass.
Maybe ask the kids what they think of the idea, there's bound to be a video or two on youtube!
OP stevieb 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Tomtom:

Hi, thanks for this. I think an hour would be long enough if they were climbing most of the time, but if they have to wait for the staff at every changeover, then maybe not.
And somehow I've managed to get a 14 year old daughter who is still enthusiastic about lots of stuff, so not grumpy cool yet, cheers
In reply to stevieb:

I've taken my niece and nephew to the Exeter one too, the staff there allow you to have a two minute 'training session' then they give you a high vis and a tool to release the locking crabs and you can just accompany your little ones around clipping them in and out of the auto belays. We preferred that as it meant they weren't hanging around waiting for the instructor, and we could spend time encouraging them up routes etc.

gotthebug 21 Aug 2015
In reply to stevieb:

At the one I've been to there was a tediously long session at the start to show the adults how to clip the children in, and then you were left to it, with the staff just being there to supervise.

The children got way more than an hour, and had a brilliant time.
 coinneach 21 Aug 2015
In reply to gotthebug:

Been to the Maryport one a few times . . . . . . . .

Great fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...