UKC

Full Body Harness for Back troubles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JemG 21 Aug 2015
I've been struggling with sciatica for a while and have finally reached a stage where I can start climbing again. However I'm concerned that a fall would load my back too much and cause my sciatica to flare up again, so I've considered the idea of getting and using a full-body harness to minimise damage potential.
Do you think this might actually help?
and any recommendations for full body harnesses?
 WildCamper 21 Aug 2015
In reply to JemG:

Here is a recent thread on the topic:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=622351

Hope it helps
 gethin_allen 21 Aug 2015
In reply to JemG:

At a recent trade show Stevie haston was plugging a pad type device from grivel designed to clip on to a conventional harness and spread the load more evenly on the back.

vimeo.com/134207773

perhaps this would be a start.
 Adam Long 21 Aug 2015
In reply to JemG:

I don't think so. The advantage of a full-body harness is that if unconscious during or after the fall you are held upright. Full body harnesses tend to have less padding and spread the load differently, typically they're intended for crevasse falls with heavy rucksacks and lots of clothing. In a normal climbing fall you are conscious and sit up, and the shock is absorbed mainly round the back of the legs. With industrial harnesses, which are sit harnesses with shoulder straps, there isn't much difference unless you slump back. I find working suspended in a harness is usually quite good for my back, it gets supported but unlike sitting at a desk you're much more mobile.
 smallclimber 22 Aug 2015
In reply to JemG:
I used a body harness while pregnant and I don't think this would be a good way to go to help with back pain. It was not very comfortable and the discomfort point was actually accross my back about mid way up especially when I was being lowered, lowering a heavier partner,at a hanging belay or rappelling. I would have hated to fall on it (ok I wasn't leading while I was pregnant, but it was uncomfortable enough when I weighted it to make me think I would not have wanted that to happen anyway...).
A well fitted sit harness should not really aggravate your back.

And a comment about your sciatica. I suffered from back pain for years including, but not limited, to sciatica pain. For many years doctors just told me to do more stretches, sent me for physical therapy and told me that I wasn't flexible enough, had bad posture etc. After the birth of my second child I started to have pain in the achillies and then all over my feet, to the extent that for a couple of years there were times I could hardly walk and I was on maximum dose of ibuprofen most days for the two years. Eventually I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, which is a form of arthritis,and although not curable can be treated very well with specialized medicines. It took a further year to get the right drugs, but I have been almost pain free for a year and a half now, and after 10 years or so of pain it's amazing to be able to enjoy my children, work and yes, climb again. So if your back pain does not resolve continue to,push your doctors to consider all things that could be contributing, I'm not saying you have what I have, but make sure you fight for yourself to try and get better and actively seek second opinions if you don't feel you are getting what you need fro your doctor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...