UKC

Journeys end for Bradfordian figure. Geoffrey Brindley RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 24 Aug 2015

Sad news if you have lived in or around Bradford in the last 40 years.
It has been reported that Geoffrey Brindley has passed.
Who? you may ask, and yes I did not know his name until about a week ago but I knew exactly who he was.
A figure dressed as a monk who cheerily waved at everybody he passed as he walked , and walked and walked.
I remember him when I was about ten or eleven years old when we ran to the end of the garden to cheer him on his way......"Does he ever rest?" " Has he any food?" " How many miles does he do a day?" " Where is he heading?" were all questions that encircled this enigmatic gentleman.
Then when I returned to Bradford in my mid twenties, thirties, there he was again. Exactly then same, as if caught in a unending loop of time.He never seemed to age. Again, like a child I felt compelled to wave.
RIP Geoffrey, but I suspect that coffin aint going to hold your spirit down.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13622663._Bradford_Jesus_Man__di...
Post edited at 18:19
 hokkyokusei 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Sad news. I'd heard he was ill.
Tomtom 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:
'The Jesus dude' my generation knew him as at school, when he ventured out as far as rawdon.
Only saw him a few times. He always seemed so happy, so at least we can hope he died happy.
 Lemony 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Good heavens, used to see him on the train a lot after nights at Shipley Glen and always wondered what the story was. Sounds like a fantastic character.
Removed User 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

We always referred to him as the walking monk. Always tooted my horn and got a wave back.
OP sbc_10 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Yes, I always knew him as the 'Happy Wanderer'. In fact I probably picked that up off my mum, so his legacy goes beyond my time on this Earth and I'm fifty.
 Ridge 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Sad news. Used to see him a lot when I lived in Shipley, pleasant chap.
 Doghouse 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Wow! Used to see him a lot in the 70/80's in the Rawdon area when I was as school - impressed by him in a 'I#m not sure why kinda way'. Always seemed to have a smile on his face and a cheery wave. RIP.
Removed User 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

RIP- always a cheery smile and a wave when I used to see him around Halifax but I hadnt seen him for a few years. He used to give the impression that he had found the secret of a happy life.
In reply to Lemony:

> Good heavens, used to see him on the train a lot after nights at Shipley Glen and always wondered what the story was. Sounds like a fantastic character.

This post received a dislike for goodness knows what reason. It's time that the dislike button is removed as it's getting silly. Or perhaps the anonymity removed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...