UKC

Has windows 10 ruined my laptop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015
My lovely fast laptop (SSD i7 etc) has taken a distinct turn for the worse since I upgraded to Windows 10.

I've updated all the drivers to W10 dirvers, but I'm having a hell of a time getting a reliable wireless connection.

When I first boot up, its lightning quick moving from page to page on the internet, but after about 5-10 mins, suddenly it starts slowing up (up to a minute between pages) sometimes I get connection reset messages, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network or turning wifi on/off resets it for about a minute and then it goes back to the same slowness.

It can't be overheating because a restart takes 12 seconds max on this machine and it will then run fine for 15 mins again.

For reference my Vista desktop is working perfectly well, as is my android tablet, PS4, sky+ box, and phone all through the same router.

I've checked the router IPs for conflicts and there aren't any (and turning off all other devices still doesn't change this behaviour with my laptop)

<clicks post hoping it doesn't f'n reset again!>
ultrabumbly 24 Aug 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

laptops often have customised chipset drivers and so on written by the manufacturer. Often these will include onboard wifi. It may well be that is one of these eating up resources. Have a look in task manager (sort the processes by memory usage as this is often a tell tale sign if it is ever increasing) It might be a process you can get away with disabling or maybe "go back a version" until it is fixed. If you do find a process that is eating resources, google that process name to find more info.
OP balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015

Had to switch to tablet now.

Ran through one of the w10 connection trouble shooters that tells me the DNS server is not responding...but surely that would effect all devices on the network?
OP balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:
> laptops often have customised chipset drivers and so on written by the manufacturer. Often these will include onboard wifi. It may well be that is one of these eating up resources. Have a look in task manager (sort the processes by memory usage as this is often a tell tale sign if it is ever increasing) It might be a process you can get away with disabling or maybe "go back a version" until it is fixed. If you do find a process that is eating resources, google that process name to find more info.

Will give that a go thanks...
Post edited at 22:34
 Oujmik 25 Aug 2015

If there's a W10 version, you could download Process Explorer from Microsoft which is a much more powerful version of Task Manager, giving you a better idea what processes are using what resources and where they originated.
 frqnt 25 Aug 2015

I had some network connectivity problems with my new workstation due to the manufacturer installed software. I reset windows and told it to purge all applications and the resultant fresh install of W10 sans added faff resolved all the problems. Maybe worth a shot? Just type reset with the Start dialogue open.
OP balmybaldwin 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

> If there's a W10 version, you could download Process Explorer from Microsoft which is a much more powerful version of Task Manager, giving you a better idea what processes are using what resources and where they originated.

The problem is it doesn't stay connected long enough to download!
Removed User 25 Aug 2015

What browser are you using? Does it happen with anything other than internet browsing? When you open progress manager and sort by CPU usage what's eating all the cpu/memory?
ultrabumbly 25 Aug 2015

can you plug it into an ethernet port on the router to get sorted? While there is a tonne of "dark arts" around making wifi work with many different sets of hardware, ethernet is pretty basic and homogeneous. It would be a good indicator that it is probably the wifi itself giving you problems too.
In reply to ultrabumbly:
No Ethernet port... it would require me getting some kind of adapter

I'm seeing the problem whether I use "Edge" firefox or Chrome

It's a general network issue, not just related to internet browsing.

Think I will have a go at a Clean install tonight and see if that helps.

I don't seem to have any processes that are hogging memory or CPU
Post edited at 12:42

So it seems if I do a "reset" then I lose the ability to go back to windows 8.1 - thanks Microsoft I either have to go back back to the worst OS in history or gamble that the makers of the worst OS in history haven't screwed up again

Decisions decisions
 Fredt 25 Aug 2015

Take a look at the properties of the wifi connection. When I upgraded the wifi kept dropping, but W10 had switched on an option in properties that allows Windows to turn off wifi to save energy. Power saving or something. I up ticked the box and all was fine.

Done a reset now, will see how it goes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...