UKC

Pushing the Limits: Extreme Rock vid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 26 Aug 2015
I was wanting to watch this old video with Ron Fawcett climbing posted here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1513

But all I get is the unhelpful Youtube message that "this video is unavailable". Maybe some officious tw*t thinks they're making the world a better place by having this 26 minutes of historical footage banned from public viewing. But whatever the reason does anyone have a link to copy somewhere: file storage/torrent etc..

Thanks
In reply to stp: Chill out! If you just go to YouTube they work I think, it's just the embeds that don't.

digby 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

No they don't. If it say's there's no video, there isn't. And indeed there isn't.
 digby 26 Aug 2015
In reply to stp:

Presumably the copyright holder has had it removed. Maybe Leo Dickinson? http://www.adventurearchive.com/data/film_library_sports_rock_ice_climbing....
In reply to stp:

Video now removed from our catalogue as well so your link won't work any more.

In this case it has been removed from YouTube almost certainly by the person who up uploaded it in the first place. Sometimes the owner will fiddle with the embed permissions which means you can still see it on YouTube but not on third party sites like UKC.

Alan
OP stp 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> it has been removed from YouTube almost certainly by the person who up uploaded it in the first place.

Presumably because someone is threatening them. Can't think why else they'd remove it unless there are space or bandwidth limits on Youtube perhaps.

Anyway surely someone else must have a copy?
Andy Gamisou 26 Aug 2015
In reply to stp:

Just so I can get this clear. You believe the rightful copyright holder has gotten this removed from YouTube, and you'd like someone to supply you with a 'stolen' version? And you think that's OK and that anyone who disagrees is a tw*t? Cool! I have this video and am happy to supply it to you - all I need in return is your address and a list of dates/times you aren't generally at home. Please send me a PM.
 ChrisBrooke 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

No, you don't understand, everything should be free, for everyone, at all times. Now, I'm going to need those house keys please.
OP stp 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

Is your version stolen?
OP stp 26 Aug 2015
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

You are completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with payment since this 25 mins of footage is not available anywhere to buy or rent anyway. So if, and maybe its not the case, but if was removed because of someone threatening someone else then the only effect is to deprive people from watching it. There is no positive outcome at all for anyone as far as I can see. The outcome is wholly negative.
 Otis 27 Aug 2015
In reply to stp:

> the only effect is to deprive people from watching it. There is no positive outcome at all for anyone as far as I can see. The outcome is wholly negative.

Which part of 'ownership' is so hard to understand here?

My holiday photos are on my laptop. You can't see them and you never will because I don't want you to. They were on Facebook once but I took them down because I didn't like the shirt I was wearing. This outcome is wholly positive for me because people can't see me in my dodgy shirt.

Does this help??!?

Bob 27 Aug 2015
In reply to stp:

If the creator of the footage feels that it still has commercial value (and that's their call not yours or mine) then they are entitled to take steps to protect that commercial value. Look at YouTube's terms and conditions and it is pretty clear that you should only upload content that you have permission to do so, here's the actual text: "Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you're authorised to use. Don't upload videos that you didn't make, or use content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programmes or videos made by other users, without the necessary authorisations"

How would you feel if you'd made something and someone else came along and gave it away?
 jon 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

> How would you feel if you'd made something and someone else came along and gave it away?

You mean a bit like if I'd spent months cleaning and bolting a new 8 pitch route... it's nearly finished... then some dick comes along and sticks two bolts in the first pitch so he can climb it before me... and then puts a trip report and topo on camptocamp so no-one needs the guidebook that I've almost finished that will hopefully go some way to paying for the equipment for that and dozens of other routes and afford me some sort of living?

Well, I'd feel disappointed.

OP stp 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Otis:

Not at all. I've no idea what you holiday snaps have to do with anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...