UKC

Changing outside tap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d508934 26 Aug 2015
So I replaced old knackered tap with like for like new outside tap (seems to be one standard type for outside taps), used about 12 loops of PTFE tape but when pulling it tight with spanner, it points to about 8 o clock rather than straight down. Moving back about a quarter turn to straight down and it’s just a bit loose and water weeps. Does it just need a load more PTFE on the thread? Any other suggestions? Cheers in advance!
 marsbar 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

What are you attaching it to? Can the whole lot be loosened off and turned round a bit then tightened up so it faces down when tight?

PTFE won't help if its not tight.

You might get away with LSX but its not right, its would be a bodge.
 Andy Morley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

You need to ask your GB to refer you to your local practice in-house therapist for screening for potential OCD. She will help you work on your aversion to a tap that points to 8 o'clock.
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to marsbar:

attached to pipe coming through wall - don't think that easy to twist it round (holes for new rawl plugs would overlap and turn into too big a hole)

I'll have a look at LSX
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

made me chuckle! yes am a touch OCD about DIY stuff - although tap pointing almost left is definitely odd.

why are therapists assumed to be female??
Bellie 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

You need a rubber washer over the thread. I had the same issue, and no amount of tape helped. stuck a rubber washer and it nipped it tight pointing in the right direction.
 wilkie14c 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

The answer here is to turn your house slightly to the right obviously
 timjones 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

> So I replaced old knackered tap with like for like new outside tap (seems to be one standard type for outside taps), used about 12 loops of PTFE tape but when pulling it tight with spanner, it points to about 8 o clock rather than straight down. Moving back about a quarter turn to straight down and it’s just a bit loose and water weeps. Does it just need a load more PTFE on the thread? Any other suggestions? Cheers in advance!

12 turns of PTFE tape is pretty excessive, beyond that it would be useful to know what sort of fitting you are attchiong it to.
 Timmd 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

12 turns is quite a lot of PTFE tape.
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

i had no idea how many to do, so found on youtube a plumber demonstrating the change who used 12-14. he was an aussie though!
 Andy Morley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

> why are therapists assumed to be female??

It is a feature of the paternalist hegemony that dominates the written word to assume that an unspecified third person should always be referred to as 'he'. In order to challenge this, critical scholars have taken to writing 'she' to refer to a third person of unspecified gender in order to counterbalance the patriarchy.

However, leaving w**kers like that out if it, in this case, we're not talking about assumptions but documented fact:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicEqualopps2013.html

Note that while male applicants are very much in the minority to start with, even fewer males are actually accepted and offered this particular variety of state-funded training.
 timjones 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

> i had no idea how many to do, so found on youtube a plumber demonstrating the change who used 12-14. he was an aussie though!

PTFE must be cheap in Oz
 Hat Dude 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

> i had no idea how many to do, so found on youtube a plumber demonstrating the change who used 12-14. he was an aussie though!

He's used to anti clockwise water!
 jkarran 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

More (or less) tape.

I had a bunch of tape sealed straight BSP joints to make in my bathroom recently and getting them to seal was a complete pig. They all required at least that much tape and several wrapping-testing-cursing-stripping-wrapping-testing cycles. Left me wishing I'd bought tapered fittings or some water safe jointing compound!

If there are flat sealing faces in the fitting a rubber washer might be your solution but I don't think there are in the usual wall-plate & garden-tap combo.

jk
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Bellie:

sounds like it might work - although it may perish particularly over winter? how many years has yours been going?
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to jkarran:

thanks - so if i have a go with trying more tape, i've got to remove the existing tape first applied, right? can see why it gets boring very quickly! luckily i only have one joint unlike your bathroom.
 Andy Morley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

So how many rock-climbers has it taken thus far to try to change an outside tap?
 timjones 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> So how many rock-climbers has it taken thus far to try to change an outside tap?

Only one, unless they're a fussy beggar
 mp3ferret 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

Got the same fitting on our outside tap - to satisfy my ocd for having things straight I used electrical tape instead of ptfe - it's sealed and it points straight down.
 marsbar 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

So is the actual fitting you are attaching to fixed?
 Neil Williams 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:
You can't back off with PTFE tape. Take it off, put fresh on and tighten it only to vertical. You are likely to need a *lot* more than 12 loops of it if you're wanting it to go tight where it otherwise wouldn't.
Post edited at 15:25
In reply to Timmd:

You do use quite a lot of it. It's quite thin and lubricates well.
 Andy Morley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

The actual answer is to add more turns of tape until you have enough there to make a seal with the tap pointing the way you want it to.
Bellie 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

It does work. In fact the wall bracket and the tap should have one in between them to aid the joint and to prevent leaks. I was just lazy and originally stuck the new tap on the old wall plate. It was a kit that I took the tap from, and when it leaked - I looked at the wall plate in the box and it had the rubber washer on.

The rubber should last fine... its made for the job.

OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to marsbar:

yes fixed attachment point, one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-union-back-plate/56415

It's the bit on the end that goes flush against the outside wall of the house
 marsbar 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

Ah now I understand. So, how are you getting on?
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to marsbar:

will let you know when i have a go tonight!
In reply to Andy Morley:

Yes, this. But never back off, you have to get it right first time, or off it comes and do it again. If you back off with PTFE tape, even a little bit, the seal is destroyed.
OP d508934 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

what do you mean by 'back off'? it has to be one continuous loop right?
In reply to d508934:
I mean if you tighten the tap up to full tightness, you can't then loosen it, not even slightly. If you do the seal will fail. So you have to get the position/tightness right first time.

It doesn't have to be one continuous loop, no. Provided it's secure and screwing it in doesn't make it come loose. That is, you can add more, though it's usually best to start clean.
Post edited at 17:33
 Ridge 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> 12 turns is quite a lot of PTFE tape.

You've not met many Cumbrian plumbers. 30 turns of PTFE tape, liberal coating of 'plumbers mate' and an entire tube of silicon sealant seems to have been the standard in The old bathroom I ripped out. It still leaked...
 MattJ753 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

20 turns well squeezed in to the threads, if using the thin stuff...might be just about enough

once tight dont reverse it

you may have to stop short of bottoming out the thread if you want it to look straight

even better, dont use ptfe cos its s#!t, use loc-tite threadseal and you wont have any problems
In reply to MattJ753:

I have never had a problem with properly applied PTFE.
 Andy Morley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

Alternatively, you can do things the old-fashioned way and use hemp strands and whitelead. The hemp stinks and the whitelead is poisonous, but it sets hard, eventually.
 stella1 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Nothing wrong with 30 turns! My mate is a plumber and just helped me do my bathroom. He laughed at my dozen layers of ptfe. Insisted I use at least 20 and some of the liquid ptfe stuff. No leaks so far...
OP d508934 27 Aug 2015
In reply to stella1:

all sorted now - 30 turns of ptfe did the trick. glad to know that's not considered excessive by some!
Lusk 27 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

> all sorted now - 30 turns of ptfe did the trick. glad to know that's not considered excessive by some!

It is if you're using 'one wrap' tape!
 Neil Williams 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Nowt wrong with the traditional thin cheapo stuff from Screwfix, you just have to use enough of it.
 wilkie14c 27 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934:

What's with everyone talking about ptfe tape for anyway?
Your leak is probably caused by the tape to start with. If it's a flat flanged tap terminal on the pipe end and a flat flange on the tap then just the rubber washer the tap comes with would be fine giving plenty of turn to straighten the pipe while still sealing
 ScottTalbot 27 Aug 2015
In reply to d508934: I'm a bit late to this thread, but as an ex bathroom/kitchen fitter, I can tell you that 12 wraps of PTFE isn't excessive!?! Standard is 15-20 for me.
Glad you got it sorted.

timjones 28 Aug 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I'm a bit late to this thread, but as an ex bathroom/kitchen fitter, I can tell you that 12 wraps of PTFE isn't excessive!?! Standard is 15-20 for me.

> Glad you got it sorted.

I use a lot of PTFE on plumbing fittings around the farm and I've never had a leak when using 4-5 turns at the most. That makes anything over 10 turns seem ptetty excessive to me.
ultrabumbly 28 Aug 2015
In reply to timjones:

country water takes its time pondering whether it really wants, or needs, to seep, not like that city water that rushes for the tap just because all the other water does.
 Andy Morley 28 Aug 2015
In reply to timjones:

> I use a lot of PTFE on plumbing fittings around the farm and I've never had a leak when using 4-5 turns at the most. That makes anything over 10 turns seem ptetty excessive to me.

The main reason you need PTFE in the first place is that screw fittings aren't precisely engineered so you need something to deal with the variations in tolerance. If you happen to buy fittings that are more precisely made, then yes, you will use a standard amount and the chief benefit switches from tolerarnce-absorption to thread-lubrication. However, I think this guy said he bought his gear from Screwfix - enough said!
 timjones 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> The main reason you need PTFE in the first place is that screw fittings aren't precisely engineered so you need something to deal with the variations in tolerance. If you happen to buy fittings that are more precisely made, then yes, you will use a standard amount and the chief benefit switches from tolerarnce-absorption to thread-lubrication. However, I think this guy said he bought his gear from Screwfix - enough said!

I wonder if it's more down to quality of the tape, if I made more than ten turns with the stuff I use I'm not sure that I'd be able to assemble the fittings.
 Neil Williams 28 Aug 2015
In reply to timjones:

It's surprisingly slippy, and surprisingly much will go on. Or maybe not surprisingly - it is after all the same stuff as Teflon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...