UKC

Is there a website where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
Is there a website where I can find out if other groups are going to be using a crag on a certain day. I'm planning on taking a group to huntly cave in a few weeks. An would be handy to know since its not the largest of venues with the popular climbs being very close together wouldn't be feesable with 2 groups there.
In reply to Cerris90: No. You need a back up plan.

OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Kind difficult to do with the army.
Removed User 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Kind of difficult for anyone to do but as randomers we just put up with groups taking over entire crags every now and again and head to a different one.
 Doad13 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Unlikely to help but maybe check on meetup.com in that area? I know some of the groups in my area use that to organise their meets.
OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
Also I really thought that is something someone would have surly thought off by now. One to avoid doing an on the bus off the bus in popular venues, secondly it also helps alot with planning of things. Obviously for it to work you would have to get as many climbing groups, clubs an stuff on to it. But still. Why has no one done this?
Post edited at 16:26
OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Normally I am the randomer. Iv just been asked to put this together for work. Well it's mid week. An we will be getting there early so hopefully their won't be any courses or anything running .
 Bulls Crack 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Kind difficult to do with the army.

Really? Strategy and all that
In reply to Cerris90: I would have thought a Plan B was all part of being in the army. Igf you're doing this for work it will make you look a lot better if you have a back up plan, and a bit unreliable if you don't.

OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Frank
honestly not as simple as that. An my opinions of the army are biast. Hence why I'm leaving.
ultrabumbly 27 Aug 2015

Plan B-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System also useful for drying routes maybe
OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Ha if the army wasn't so skint I'm sure they would own this.
 Brass Nipples 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Why has no one done this?

No demand, groups and crags not a big enough issue to make it worth someone's time? Why would someone create the website?

In reply to Orgsm: I agree. The other reason no one has done such a site is that it would be a complete waste of time and effort. It would only be as good as the information people voluntarily put on. It would be instantly out of date and redundant on every level. This is why having a Plan B is the only useful option.

Billhook 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

Wonderful idea. Good on theory, poor on practice.

So lets imagine there is such a site.

1. You've got to make everyone/organisation whose going to use a crag to actually forwarn, post the fact that they are going to be using the crag.

2. Different crags will have different 'saturation' points which not every other user will know.

3. How will I as a non user know for example how many people 'Poseur Crags' can take.

4. Then of course you need to ensure that those that potential groups using the system
actually look up to see whether its been booked or not.

5. And this is my real objection - it will simply become a booking circus. Some outdoor centres will simply pre book 'their' crag, weeks, months in advance, and are unlikely to then cancel advance bookings should the need arise.
OP Cerris90 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

I see your points but even something semi informal where you can have a quick look. Not any form of booking but just a "we are going here this day"
In reply to Cerris90:

Why not send someone to the crag half an hour in front of you, if it's busy they call you and you go somewhere else.
In reply to Cerris90: It won't be done for all the reasons listed above in mine, Orgsm's and Dave Parry's post. I have no idea what a semi informal website even is.

Steve Perry 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90

For this area I would say if the weather was really good most groups will be in the Cairngorms. If it's wet there but not in Aviemore they will be at Huntly's. If it's wet in the Cairngorms and at Huntly's but not in Moray they will be at Cummingston. Alternatively they may be at all 3, or 2 of 3, or 1 of 3, or 0, but 0 would be rare, probably rarer than all 3, hope this makes sense and good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...