UKC

Excited yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This morning I left the house to leave for work. It was clear, sunny, crisp and a chill in the air. It reminded of some of the great times I have had in Scottish Winter. Now I am excited!!
Is it just me?
 d_b 28 Aug 2015
In reply to stucknortherner:

Maybe you could go to Millstone, as I hear it's good for winter climbing this time of year.

*gets coat*
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Maybe you could go to Millstone, as I hear it's good for winter climbing this time of year.

> *gets coat*

Good idea, get my tool skills back up with a spot of dry tooling. I might sacrifice some pegs too!
 alexm198 28 Aug 2015

Yep, haven't swung tools for a few months now - itching to get cold wet and scared again!
 sbc_10 28 Aug 2015

Getting that cold shiver about cold Hivers......oh la la!
....although I reckon Kinder was probably 'in' several times this 'Summer'.
 elliptic 28 Aug 2015

I was re-reading Nick B's article this very lunchtime about the Needle and Citadel: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3435

All that white wintery goodness... yep, its definitely in my head now.
 barbeg 28 Aug 2015

Excited? Oh yes.....getting there....

ANdy
ultrabumbly 28 Aug 2015

can you all just stop. For every uttered early fantasy of smacking tools into something hard and water based, the gods mock us with a nugget of not quite frozen enough turf in a crack.
 afshapes 28 Aug 2015

Yep. ..Ben Nevis definitive guide made it back to the toilet yesterday !!
 James Edwards 28 Aug 2015

There is still a huge amount of snow on feith buidhe slabs at the West end of Loch Avon in the cairngorms. This will definitely still be substantial when the first snows arrive. It is still big enough for a few turns on skis and will be skied this weekend.
How many years does a snow patch have to survive and how big does it have to be to be defined as a glacier?
Also have you seen the size of the rowan berries? HUGE!
And lastly, it will be a very strong El nino year this year... Can anyone remember what this usually means for Scottish winter? Andy, what do you think?
James e
 barbeg 28 Aug 2015
In reply to James Edwards:

Hi James,

It will be its' usual unpredictable, wonderful, bizarre, cold, miserable, fantastic, sadistic, unsurpassable self of course !!

ANdy
 Exile 28 Aug 2015
In reply to elliptic:

Good
 gethin_allen 28 Aug 2015

A few more like that and there's no doubt Kinder downfall will be 'in'
 Jim Fraser 01 Sep 2015

Still snow patches clearly visible in many areas including Glen Shiel and Glen Glass (Wyvis) which has not happened often in recent decades.

With newish Nepal Pros and new ski boots sitting in the corner it is not hard to get excited.
 French Erick 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jim Fraser:

trying really hard not too...still have rock objectives!
skipper64 03 Sep 2015
In reply to James Edwards:

the el nino is supposed to bring large amounts of snow after xmas...and that was not from james madden the eternal optimist as far as winter conditions are concerned!

> There is still a huge amount of snow on feith buidhe slabs at the West end of Loch Avon in the cairngorms. This will definitely still be substantial when the first snows arrive. It is still big enough for a few turns on skis and will be skied this weekend.

> How many years does a snow patch have to survive and how big does it have to be to be defined as a glacier?

> Also have you seen the size of the rowan berries? HUGE!

> And lastly, it will be a very strong El nino year this year... Can anyone remember what this usually means for Scottish winter? Andy, what do you think?

> James e

Heike 12 Oct 2015
In reply to joe.wahab:
Thanks for that! Sounds great! I'll hold you personally responsible, though, if it's gonna a be a mild and wet winter yet again
Post edited at 22:25
 joe.wahab 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Heike:

Haha, I think if anyone is attempting to clutch at swans, they themselves should be personally responsible for such a bizarre endeavour!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...