UKC

Software recommendation for ripping DVDs to HDD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 30 Aug 2015
Any first hand experiences you can share?

Running Win10 on Surface Pro3 and I would like to be able to watch some of DVDs whilst travelling. Surface Pro3 does not have a DVD drive. Planning on using my notebook running Win10 with DVD drive to save the files as MP4 files, put them onto something USB connectivity and then on the SSD onto Surface Pro3.

Questions.
Is this the easiest way?
What DVD ripping software would you recommend (free is great!)?

Any other advice welcome.
 Mike-W-99 30 Aug 2015
In reply to TMM:

I've used handbrake to do this.
OP TMM 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thanks Mike.

Any other advice?
 markAut 30 Aug 2015
In reply to TMM:

Handbrake is pretty good, and is freeware. It can struggle with copy protected discs, which some pay software can deal with more easily.
 cezza 30 Aug 2015
In reply to TMM:

Ripping DVDs, even as a personal copy, now violates the copyright. If you have reasonable bandwidth you may as well save yourself some time and effort and just torrent a copy of the DVD you already own.
OP TMM 31 Aug 2015
In reply to cezza:

I had given that some thought, but I haven't done any downloading for a few years.

Are there any safe and free sites or am I going to have to pay again to have computer access to films I already own on DVD?
 cezza 31 Aug 2015
In reply to TMM:

I use KickAssTorrents to search and uTorrent as a client, however there are many other options and none, including this, are 100% safe. Your ISP probably blocks direct access to the most common indexes so you may need to use a proxy.
 zebidee 31 Aug 2015
In reply to cezza:

> Ripping DVDs, even as a personal copy, now violates the copyright. If you have reasonable bandwidth you may as well save yourself some time and effort and just torrent a copy of the DVD you already own.

Whilst it's true that ripping the DVD which you already own is just as illegal as downloading it, it's a) less likely to be spotted by anyone else; and b) arguable that you're not harming anyone as you're not promoting or adding to torrenting demand.
 zebidee 31 Aug 2015
In reply to TMM:

Oh and FYI, I use handbrake as well.
Removed User 01 Sep 2015
In reply to TMM:
Don't think I'd bother ripping dvds when it's quicker to just torrent the movies. You already paid for them once, torrent 1080p bluray versions from KAT as Cezza suggests. You keep your dvds for home but get copies for your tablet, no problem.
Post edited at 00:19
In reply to Removed User:

These sites verify you bought the DVD/Bluray?
Removed User 01 Sep 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Go troll some bolting threads.
In reply to Removed User:
No thanks. A reasonable enquiry I thought.
Post edited at 09:14
 The Lemming 01 Sep 2015
In reply to TMM:

I used to decrypt and rip DVDs back in the day.

But now it's just not worth the time and effort. Ripping your DvDs is questionable in legality so you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

Just download a torrent. That way somebody else has done all the grafting of decrypting, ripping and then rendering into something such as mp4, xvid, divx, h.264 or what ever.
OP TMM 01 Sep 2015
In reply to cezza:

Thanks for the advice. What proxy would you recommend that is not going to fill my PC full of tat?
Removed User 03 Sep 2015
In reply to TMM:
Get a month's access to a vpn and download via that ( https://mullvad.net/en/ ) and you can bypass all those silly blocks ISPs are forced to set up by the courts. Plus anon torrenting.
Post edited at 10:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...