UKC

Sports Personality of the Year - tough to call

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 01 Sep 2015
SPOTY (very tough to call)- Mo Farrah, Jess Ennis-Hill, Chris Froome, or Lewis Hamilton

International (a shoe-in) - Usain Bolt

Team - mens cricket or womens hockey (unless we manage the rugby world cup)
 JamButty 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Mo for me. Chris Froome perhaps if he gets the Vuelta as well, but he's not a mainstream figure the same as Mo, and Mo's achievements are amazing.
It would be politically the right call as well given all the doping questions

(assuming he's innocent.... )

Chris the Tall 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Hope Jess Ennis-Hill wins it - it's been a long time since a woman has won it and Zara Phillips back in 2006 was no way near as deserving or as inspirational. I love the fact that she has stayed in Sheffield despite offers to go abroad.
Farah remains tainted by his association with Salazar and Nike Oregon. Incredible performances and I still believe he's clean, but questions and doubts remain.

Neither Froome nor Hamilton should be eligible as they have both chosen to base themselves in a tax haven.

Agree on Usain Bolt, though if Serena Williams wins the grand slam she must be a contender as well - though Bolt wins on personality !

Team - how about Womens football ?
 ByEek 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

> Team - mens cricket or womens hockey (unless we manage the rugby world cup)

You forgot women's football.

I wish they would call it Sport's Person of the Year. Half the winners appear to have little or no personality at all!
OP kipper12 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I had forgotten our women footballers, deserving thats for sure.
 FactorXXX 01 Sep 2015

Neither Froome nor Hamilton should be eligible as they have both chosen to base themselves in a tax haven.

Farah doesn't live in the UK, so he's ineligible too.
 GrahamD 01 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

>. Half the winners appear to have little or no personality at all!

Don't mistake personality with TV persona. I would imagine anyone who gets to the very top of their sport has bags of personality even if they can't goof it up in front of a camera.
 summo 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:
Ennis-Hill to win, she had to be consistent in more events to win overall, compared to Mo. Especially off the back of being off for a little while, she could have retired and spent the rest of her days opening leisure centres.

Froome, the tour etc. is a team event with massive support crew and can't really be compared to athletics. Without the team member sacrificing at times, Froome 'may' not have won. Hamilton, same team thing again.
Post edited at 14:13
OP kipper12 01 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

Maybe there is a good case to include the likes of Hamilton and Froome in the team category, although where does that stop. Neither Mo or Jess achieved their fantastic success without a team of people around them.
 Roadrunner5 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Bolt was incredible. He's been shit (for him) this year and has got it spot on at the right time under massive pressure. As much as I dislike Gatlin him coming back has brought some competition. But he served his bans so should be free to compete.

Impressed by Farah but think he was toying with the field in the 5k.

Really impressed by Ennis Hill too.

Hard one to call, probably Farah, however I think he's been damaged by Salazar and the British love a good comeback so maybe Jess. I think between those two.
 Chris the Tall 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Agree up to a point. No interest in F1 but the amount of money involved seems ridiculous, especially as much of it seems to go to a crook like Ecclestone. Then you have Team sky, the richest team in cycling and it is becoming a bit of an issue. Not saying Froome has it easy, but the strength of the team gives him an advantage both off and on the bike. Stepping down again you have the support Farah gets from Nike in Oregon. And at the bottom you have Jess, Toni M and a small support team, who stayed loyal to Sheffield despite her training venue being bulldozed !

As for the team award - Britain's Davis Cup team could be in with a shout if they win - even making the semis is pretty remarkable given where they were about 5 years ago (losing to Lithuania)
 lowersharpnose 01 Sep 2015

A mention for Greg Rutherford who is currently Olympic, World, European & Commonwealth champion.

Mo is a tax exile, so he is out with the others of that ilk, like F1 & golfers.

I'll vote for Jess Ennis.
 The New NickB 01 Sep 2015
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Mo is a tax exile, so he is out with the others of that ilk, like F1 & golfers.

Is he? Sure he lives and I assume pays tax in Oregon, but he lives in Oregon because he works in Oregon.

Lewis Hamilton on the hand lives in Monaco and works for an F1 team based in Northamptonshire. Chris Froome lives in Monaco and works for cycling team with a HQ in Manchester and operational bases in Belgium and Italy.
 lowersharpnose 01 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Yes, he applied to the HMRC to be classed as non-resident for UK tax. Was in the papers a couple of years back.
 summo 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

> Maybe there is a good case to include the likes of Hamilton and Froome in the team category, although where does that stop. Neither Mo or Jess achieved their fantastic success without a team of people around them.

no, but at the point of actually competing they are on their own. There isn't a team car following them round the 400m track, passing them drinks, wiping their brow etc.. Neither Mo or Jess even have fellow team mates out there who can or do act as pacemakers, controlling the speed of the pack to give them an advantage nearer the finish line etc..

Hamilton and Froome, whilst being individually talented, are part of a truly massive commercial operation or team, that sets out to win with a practically money is no obstacle style. In athletics money, sponsorship etc.. helps to a much lesser degree.

balmybaldwin 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kipper12:

I don't thinks it's that hard this year...

Yes there have been some magnificent performances, but Jess Ennis takes it for me. Winning the worlds so soon after giving birth is an astonishing achievement when all her competitors could train normally, she was considering what should go with her Gerkins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...