UKC

A thankyou to an abscent friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 02 Sep 2015
I've heard today, that a dear old friend of mine has lost his battle with Parkinsons, a horrible illness, which took a vibrant unique man and slowly turned him into shadow of his former self. He was a great fan of Raymond Chandler, and now he is mercifully sleeping The Big Sleep.

We'd lost touch over the years, but had some memorable times during the late 70's and 80's.

So I just wanted to pay tribute to him, and to thank him for some of his contributions to my life over those years.

Thanks for the fight with the Hells Angels in the Sally in Ambleside. Turning the car on its roof on a hairpin bend coming out of Patterdale. Buying dog food instead of stew when we did the North Face of the Troilet. Putting a not inconsiderable block of Moroccan Black into my sac, just as we were waived over for a spot check in Calais. Driving my car without permission while pissed and crashing it into an elderly couples caravan - then running away. Trying to screw my girlfriend - twice! Being too busy staring at some woman's arse to hold me when I fell of The Asp, resulting in me hitting the ground and knackering the ligaments in my knee. For lying to me about how safe Vulture at Cilan Head was? For getting us completely lost on Lord of the Rings, just when it started raining. And let's not forget the time you got us both arrested and thrown in jail in Cervinia!

On the flip side, I'd also like to thank you for the Bonatti and West Face on the Dru. For the encouragement and care as you held my ropes on Right Wall. For letting me lead the big pitch on Positron - even though you were the better climber. For the North Face of the Troilet, the most perfect alpine experience - apart from the dog food. For Nerve Wrack Point in Tulllomne. For taking the sharp end at the Harding Slot on Astroman - even though it was my turn. And for that night in the bar in Anchorage, when after years of knowing you, I finally, really got to know you.

So if there is such a thing as heaven (or hell) Mike, maybe we'll meet again - but hopefully not in the near future.

Oh, one more thing. I've still got your old stitch plate. It's in a drawer next to a faded black & white photo of two wild eyed youngsters in Snells Field. Don't know why I've kept it all these years, but then again, you always said I was a soft git.

Wyddfa 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Crumbs, you two had some adventures. Reading that made me smile. True friendship.
In reply to Goucho:

What a fabulous list of routes you've climbed (in the favourites list in your profile).
 ashtond6 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

nice words

You sounded like a right nightmare in the 80's!
OP Goucho 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Wyddfa:

> Crumbs, you two had some adventures. Reading that made me smile. True friendship.

Some of them I could have done without

And the friendship certainly had its ups and downs - usually off the mountains.
OP Goucho 02 Sep 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

> nice words

> You sounded like a right nightmare in the 80's!

Most folk I knew were the same. I was just really fortunate to get in with such a dubious and imoral peer group
 Mick Ward 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> It's in a drawer next to a faded black & white photo of two wild eyed youngsters in Snells Field.

What a wonderful tribute. You've done him proud.

Mick (who also got stung by The Asp, swiftly going from hands on top to landing in Mick Hillas's lap, courtesy of a single wire, casually placed).
OP Goucho 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Mick (who also got stung by The Asp, swiftly going from hands on top to landing in Mick Hillas's lap, courtesy of a single wire, casually placed).

I only reached the half way mark Mick, but it still hurt
 Dave Garnett 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

That's well said and from the heart. Soft git indeed.
 Mick Ward 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

I'll definitely take your word on that. And if my last utterance to Hillas hadn't been, "For f*ck's sake Mick, wake up!" it might have been equally (or more?) painful for me too.

I seem to remember that John Allen also took the wild ride - maybe we're in good company.

So very sorry about your mate.

Mick
OP Goucho 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:
> I seem to remember that John Allen also took the wild ride - maybe we're in good company.

I always feel better if John Allen fell off the same route. Unfortunately, he very rarely fell off anything

> So very sorry about your mate.

Thanks Mick.

To be honest, I'm happy he's no longer suffering that awful prison sentence that Parkinsons is.

We did get back in touch a few times about 10 years ago, but the strange thing is, it wasn't the same. There was a distance between us.

I think some friendships are just moments in time, and no matter how hard you try, you can never recapture them.

But we certainly did shared some special 'moments'.

G.
Post edited at 19:00
 FactorXXX 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

With friends like that, who needs enemies!

Sounds like the two of you had an epic and 'adventurous' time together.
A lovely heart felt tribute and hope you remember the good times as opposed to the bad.
 TobyA 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> And for that night in the bar in Anchorage, when after years of knowing you, I finally, really got to know you.

That sounds a bit Brokeback Mountain, but the 80s were a different era.

Nice words. I have a close family member with Parkinsons, it a tough thing in many ways.
OP Goucho 03 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> That sounds a bit Brokeback Mountain, but the 80s were a different era.

Ha Ha, it does doesn't it.
No, it was just the first time he actually talked about himself in any detail - and that was only after a bottle of Jack Daniels had been consumed.

Greenbanks 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Profound & heartfelt. Sounded like a grand life...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...