UKC

Exercise with injured feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobOggie 04 Sep 2015
Background: Injured toes on both feet have meant no climbing for a while now (seriously doing my head in!) but a deterioration has meant more pain (yay!) but it has also meant I can't run, cycle or walk any real distance. Due to this, the only thing I have really been able to do are pull-ups and other arm exercises and so due to this I have put on quite a bit of weight (~5-10kg).
So, onto my question: Does anyone have any ideas for exercises, particularly cardiovascular, that I could do, which won't really stress my toes, as I'm still a while from recovery and don't fancy putting much, if any more weight on.

Your suggestions are most appreciated.
 marsbar 04 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie:
Can you swim?

Chair exercises might be suitable.
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=38
Post edited at 23:03
 stp 05 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

Sounds like a very difficult situation and impossible to do natural cardio in that condition. By that I mean just walking around, going up to crags, cycling and most of the stuff that's just done naturally without any intention of losing weight.

I remember hearing that studies found that the most effective way to lose weight is not by exercise but by modifying one's diet.

Loads of diets out there. I think the 5:2 fasting diet is good and popular, perhaps because you only need will power 2 days per week. Two days each week you have just one meal. Over time I think it retrains your appetite too, perhaps by shrinking one's stomach. I think a higher fat, lower carb diet also helps, particularly if you're not that active at the moment. Carbs are good if you're very active, and/or training a lot but I think its easy to cut right down if you're not. Eating fat makes you feel fuller for much longer and I believe its meant to stimulate release of fat burning hormones which then help with burning up the body's store of excess fat. And cutting out sweet and salty foods too because they stimulate the appetite: encourage you to eat more when you probably don't need to.
 planetmarshall 05 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

> So, onto my question: Does anyone have any ideas for exercises, particularly cardiovascular, that I could do, which won't really stress my toes, as I'm still a while from recovery and don't fancy putting much, if any more weight on.

Rowing or swimming would seem the obvious choices.

wbo 05 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie: What sort of injury is this - here is the recovery going?

Get advice from your physio on what to do

gymwear 05 Sep 2015
In reply to wbo:

When i had knee injury i diversified into sea kayaking. Lots of room for feet etc yet still getting out to clear the head.

All the best Jim
 deepsoup 05 Sep 2015
In reply to gymwear:

I wondered about kayaking too, and somebody already mentioned rowing.

Another thought that sprang to mind was circus type stuff - I don't know what's available close to the OP but there's a place in Sheffield you can take static trapeze classes, must be others dotted about.

Here's a slightly off the wall idea, how about having a go at a wheelchair sport - wheelchair rugby or basketball maybe? I don't think it's entirely unheard of for able-bodied people to play, at least I gather it's not particularly unusual for disabled participants to be people who don't use a wheelchair all the time.
 slab_happy 05 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

If you've got access to exercise machines, you may find you can use things with pedals (exercise bike, stepper, or best of all something like a Versaclimber) by putting only your heels on the pedals. Zero impact for the injured bits of your feet.

This worked decently for me when I was recovering from a midfoot injury.
 Rick Graham 05 Sep 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

Not injured my toe but can you put on plastic ( or leather ) B3 winter boots ?

I climbed indoors all last winter with a plastic boot shell over my lower leg cast, also went cycling .

Being an old school alpinist, liked it so much I started using them on my good foot too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...