UKC

It's not that bad. And beautiful data.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thrudge 08 Sep 2015
I've long argued (a little bit on here, but mostly amongst my long-suffering friends) that the media badly skews our perception of the world. Now I've found a professor who agrees with me. He's got glasses, and unruly hair, and a misshapen jacket and everything. Gotta be right:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5xF-UYgdg&

He's also got a really lovely way with data. Check him out lecturing to the US State Dept:

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_at_state
 nufkin 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

It increasingly seems that our own senses and brains badly skew our perception of the world too. Hard to know what to think, really
 Tall Clare 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

This has been on Facebook in the last week: youtube.com/watch?v=Oxxx03_JHlM&
 sjminfife 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:
I always liked "the best stats lecture you'll ever see" and I too have a few loyal but long suffering friends.
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/hans-rosling-shows-the-best-stats-you-ve-ever-see...
Post edited at 23:01
 deepsoup 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Do you ever listen to "More or Less" on radio 4?

If not, maybe you should check it out, I think you'd like it.
It's one of those radio programmes the Beeb makes available for download indefinitely. Hours and hours of episodes on all sorts of topics available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1/episodes/downloads
 toad 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Yes, one of the most depressing things in recent weeks has been my facebook feed - framed by alarmist and sensational media coverage of all sorts of recent events (not just the recent refugee crisis)
 Bob 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I've seen a couple of his lectures (on TV) about global population and he's really enthusiastic and engaging about his subject. We need more like him keeping knee jerk (or just jerk) politicians in check.
 Timmd 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
That's really great (quite beautiful). I like the way he finishes too, and the presenter's response.
Post edited at 12:25
OP Thrudge 09 Sep 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Haven't heard of that, cheers for the tip.
 deepsoup 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:
youtube.com/watch?v=Oxxx03_JHlM&
> That's really great (quite beautiful). I like the way he finishes too, and the presenter's response.

It is ace.

But hang on a minute - that thing he said about how the number of children in the world has stopped increasing. Is that the same thing as saying the global population has stopped increasing (or that it soon will)? Is that true? I mean, uncontroversially "I'm right and you're wrong" true? That is really surprising. That should be big news shouldn't it?

<goes off and googles>
Ah, here it is. Blimey.
http://www.economist.com/news/21631911-end-population-pyramid-world-reshape...
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Thanks Tony... all the mean and stupid stuff I read on Off Belay is worth it for such gems. The information is nothing new to me but the Prof and his presentations (some of the most effective I have ever seen on the subject) are. One of the most depressing things alongside all the world improvements so many are unaware of in the 'developed world' is that obviously stupid bias has come to dominate public views on important issues and if anything it is worse in some of the most forward looking countries (like Sweden). The US scores pretty badly for a western economy on education and Europeans rather look down their nose on the world view of the US public, especially given the influence of the likes of Fox news, but hey, look who was much closer to the chimps.
In reply to deepsoup:

>Is that the same thing as saying the global population has stopped increasing (or that it soon will)?

No, 'cos we're not dying fast enough, seems to be the message of your link.

jcm
 wercat 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I find one of the best way to deal with a media skewed world is to wake up to Radio 3. The world seems far more reasonable!
 sg 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

http://www.gapminder.org/

Hans Rosling's site has been online for many years now. If you've never seen it, watch his documentary on there: 'Don't Panic'. It was shown here on terrestrial TV a couple of years ago (prob BBC) and will almost certainly change the way you see the world.

He is brilliant.
 Postmanpat 09 Sep 2015
In reply to sg:

> Hans Rosling's site has been online for many years now. If you've never seen it, watch his documentary on there: 'Don't Panic'. It was shown here on terrestrial TV a couple of years ago (prob BBC) and will almost certainly change the way you see the world.

> He is brilliant.

It should be compulsory viewing for all the "anti capitalist/anti globalisation" crowd. At least it might make them think a bit.
 Jon Stewart 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

He's brilliant.

This 1h Hans special uses much of the same content, tying it all together with some nice case studies too.

youtube.com/watch?v=eA5BM7CE5-8&

Well worth watching, especially for those who've not seen all the TED talks already.
In reply to deepsoup:

I really like More or Less on R4, one of my regular podcasts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...