UKC

ankle stiffness running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 11 Sep 2015
Can anyone suggest a modification I can make to my running technique please.
After about 12 miles or so I get a stiffness in the front of my ankle - below the shin.
Doesnt seem to matter what terrain or shoes I wear. I land mostly midfoot on both feet (after a lot of training from heel striking).
-Thanks in advance.
 r0b 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

You need to do some mobilization of the ankle joint, some ideas here but plenty of others available if you search for something like "ankle self mobilization"

http://www.mikereinold.com/2013/03/ankle-mobility-exercises-to-improve-dors...
MikeSimouns 07 Oct 2015

When have you noticed that pain just recently or you've been dealing it for almost 3 months or so? Because if you do, I suggest see a doctor.
OP The Potato 07 Oct 2015

it seems to have disappeared for now so must be doing something right
 wbo 07 Oct 2015
When you had it, did it hang around, hurt all day.

Did it happen when you were heel striking? It can be tough to distinguish fatigue from injury
OP The Potato 07 Oct 2015
In reply to wbo:

Yeah felt tight for a while after, possibly fatigue but I must have been over using that particular muscle with bad technique
 wbo 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato: If you've forced yourself to start midfoot striking then that might be the issue. Beware blaming it on bad technique and thinking that-s something you can forcibly fix.

When you run are you relaxed, particularly in the lower leg, foot? If you're forcing your body to run in a specific way, then you'll get some fatigue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...