UKC

Barb wire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 13 Sep 2015
Whats the best tool to cut barb wire? I was thinking bolt cutters but they are a big and bulky to carry.

There is some really old stuff (growing inside a tree) on one of my dog walks and the dogs keep nicking there backs.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Wire cutters will do it if it's not too butch. Something like this...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/7AAtrBRzRP2Hf7boqvkO_wirecutters.jpg

Though farmers ect probably have a better tool.
 Rick Graham 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Junior hacksaw?

Cut just inside the wood at 20 degrees to hide the jagged cut wire.

If you need to cut (with any tool) away from the wood bend the sharp edge into the timber with some pliers and possibly a hammer.
 Timmd 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:
These are decent quality cable cutters, and will cut up to 4mm.

http://www.vigoltd.com/Catalogue/Viticulture-harvesting/Trellising/Wire/Gri...

I had to be very stern to stop myself from acquiring a pair which weren't mine they're such nice quality, and remind who it was that they'd left them.
Post edited at 12:35
 arch 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Pliers , and squeeze.

Not sure you should be cutting someone else's property anyway.
In reply to goldmember:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fencing+tool&biw=1920&bih=969&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI1OyQhvnzxwIVigjbCh0zYw1K#imgrc=_
the ones in top left with a beak
Post edited at 12:56
 marsbar 13 Sep 2015
In reply to arch:

It sounds like tidying up to me.
 arch 13 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Still doesn't give him/her the right to cut it though, does it ??
 marsbar 13 Sep 2015
In reply to arch:

Well if you applied that logic I wouldn't have the right to put other people's litter in the bin.
 FesteringSore 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

What's the best tool to cut barbED wire? I was thinking bolt cutters but they are aRE big and bulky to carry.

There is some really old stuff (growing inside a tree) on one of my dog walks and the dogs keep nicking THEIR backs.

arch 13 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

So it's ok to cut barb wire then ??

As the owner of two working Lurchers, barb wire injuries come with the territory. Should I just go around and cut all the barb wire out of my way ??
 Oceanrower 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

FFS This is way more important than who owns it and whether you should cut it.

Just get it right. Please.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/barbed-wire/
 Timmd 13 Sep 2015
In reply to arch:
> So it's ok to cut barb wire then ??

> As the owner of two working Lurchers, barb wire injuries come with the territory. Should I just go around and cut all the barb wire out of my way ??

It's not clear what is intended, but if it's just some random bit of barbed wire which has ended up being left in a tree as the tree has grown around it, with it no longer being a part of a fence, I can't see why it would be a problem for anybody to trim the ends away.

It might be worth finding out what the OP is actually intending to do, before deciding you don't approve?
Post edited at 13:39
Andy Gamisou 13 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> It might be worth finding out what the OP is actually intending to do, before deciding you don't approve?

This is UKC. It's against forum policy to have any thread that suggests any course of action or expresses any opinion which, no matter how sensible, does not have at least one condescending and patronising alternative point of view expressed. I await a barrage of dislikes with bated breath (if I could I'd probably give myself a dislike just to get the ball rolling).

Timmd 13 Sep 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

Very true!

> It's against forum policy to have any thread that suggests any course of action or expresses any opinion which, no matter how sensible, does not have at least one condescending and patronising alternative point of view expressed.

No it's not, you idiot.....
Zoro 13 Sep 2015
In reply to FesteringSore: haha!
You are a complete d***!

Hahaha!

marsbar 13 Sep 2015

I like your post, so I disliked it. Hope this helps.
OP goldmember 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Thanks folks for the spelling and grammar corrections, I dropped the ball.

It's just an stray piece of old rusty wire. animals would not escape from an enclosure by cutting.

The gripple cutters look ace.

A hacksaw won't do sadly, don't want to risk self harm
In reply to goldmember:

Sounds like common sense.

Just one thought, although it's probably vanishingly unlikely, but is the tree in a commercial plantation? If it is, it may be worth snipping the wire at a distance and then winding the end upwards - out of the way of dogs, but still visible. Embedded metal can be a big problem for chainsaws and if you cut too close, there may be no external sign in a few years.
Andy Gamisou 13 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> I like your post, so I disliked it. Hope this helps.

Cheers - a bit dissappointed at the relative lack of dislikes so far, so your contribution much appreciated.
Andy Gamisou 13 Sep 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> No it's not, you idiot.....

Damn - just read through the posting guidelines and it seems you're right. I just assumed that what I stated was true as it seemed the best way of explaining things.....
Moley 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Farmers fencing pliers are the best tool for cutting all wires (fencing).

Alternatively if you don't want to spend money, carry along a club hammer, bend the wire over a sharp edge of the hammer and clout it there with another standard hammer a few times. This will cut it for free.
 wintertree 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

If you have an old pair of long handled garden clippers, stout ones, and don't mind some nicks in the blades, they'll do. Put the wire as far in to the jaws as you can and hold the handles at the very ends.

You might be able to untwist the wire in the barbs with a couple of long nosed pliers. This is quite a nice way of remedying barbed wire fencing the crosses a PROW without otherwise damaging the fence.
 Trangia 13 Sep 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Bangalore torpedo

http://www.sproe.com/b/bangalore.html
 deepsoup 13 Sep 2015
I liked marsbar's post, so I too have given you a dislike, which is secretly a like. (Sssh. Don't tell anyone.)
Andy Gamisou 14 Sep 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Like.

To All/UKC/Alan James:

Can we have a new tick box for dislikes that are really likes?
 Andy Hardy 14 Sep 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Also can we move the buttons to the left? I seem to hit them at random when browsing on my phone.
 Queenie 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Please don't. I'm left handed and they're just fine where they are.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Also can we move the buttons to the left? I seem to hit them at random when browsing on my phone.

That might explain the seemingly random dislikes that appear on some threads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...