UKC

Evening climb - snack suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JDC 14 Sep 2015
Had a quick search but couldn't find anything on this - apologies if it's been done to death (I expect it has been!), but any suggestions for food / snacks before an evening climb please. I work a normal-ish day, breakfast about 7am, lunch at twelve and would normally go straight to the wall, arriving about 18:30. Problem is, I'm normally starving by then and get seduced by cake to keep me going! Options at work are limited (vending machine) so it would generally be something I'd need to take with me.
around 14 Sep 2015
In reply to dashed:

I find peanut butter really keeps me going for a while. Bring a PB sandwich to work with you?

The challenge then is to not scoff it until the evening.
 Jon Stewart 14 Sep 2015
In reply to dashed:

I'm quite fond of a second breakfast at that time of day. I don't usually have the wherewithal to prepare scrambled eggs, but cereal, breakfast biscuits, yoghurt, that type of thing. Bit better than cake, not as heavy as potted meat sarnie*.

*I can't actually remember the last time I had one of those, I don't know why it sprang to mind.
 Andrew Wilson 14 Sep 2015
In reply to dashed:

A bag of mixed fruit and nuts works for me. Aldi seem to do the best that I've tried. (Foodie market brand).
Also an apple and a banana.

I eat this late afternoon before I leave work.

Andy
OP JDC 14 Sep 2015
In reply to dashed:

Cheers - will try the peanut butter butties and a few nuts. Always a balance between filling up but not feeling stuffed and lethargic!
 marsbar 14 Sep 2015
In reply to dashed:

I quite like a milkshake made with milk, mashed banana, 2 teaspoons peanut butter and 1/2 teaspoon honey.
 phil_91 07 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

I do the same as you on a regular basis, ill either take some extra sandwiches into work with me or some pasta -just cook extra the night before, bananas and breakfast bars.

if you pass a Tesco their tuna pasta in the sandwich section always goes down a treat!

now the colder days are creeping in you should be ok to leave foods like that in your car boot if you dont have access to a fridge during the day
nikkormat 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

I tend to have a couple of pieces of rye bread with peanut butter. However, when I can be bothered making them, these oaty things are nice: http://nikkormat.blogspot.cz/2015/05/healthy-energy-bars.html
 Si dH 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

I take a couple of bananas, eat one as i leave work (15 mins from wall) and another half way through my session. If I'm going bouldering outside in summer I'll have a small sandwich when i leave work (approx 45-60 mins from crag, and have two bananas for during the session).
 cwarby 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

You are not alone. I have the same issue, especially if going straight from work. The PB sandwich is good, as are cereal bars with honey. My issue is the dreaded shakes followed by major thumb cramp. Isotonic drinks, bananas, snickers (other sweets are available I believe), chocolate coated raisins etc seem useful. Sometimes it seems a lack of energy and other times more salt based.
Anybody use the more expensive energy gels and would they help with cramp?
Chris
 wbo 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed: I very often climb after work and am pretty hungry. Sandwiches/bread leave me feeling bloated and bananas aren't enough so homemade flapjack for me.

Will try the homemade energy bar recipe, and variations on

Cake 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

Cake is actually the best form of energy, contrary to popular belief.
A bit before you leave work. A bit mid-session and a bit more if you have any left at the end.
 bouldery bits 08 Oct 2015
In reply to dashed:

Banana and homemade flapjack!

(I appreciate flapjack does not really solve your cake problem)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...