UKC

North face car park key for the Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nation1 14 Sep 2015
Is it possible to rent or buy a key for the N face car park ? I have heard you can buy one for £250 annually, wondering if this is true ? Are the mountaineering club discounts ? Any feedback welcome,
 alexm198 14 Sep 2015
In reply to nation1:

Yeah I think it's around £250, I believe the people to speak to are the local Forestry Commission? Not aware of any discounts, it's common for clubs to buy a communal one to spread the cost.

To clarify it's a key for the upper car park.
 planetmarshall 14 Sep 2015
In reply to nation1:
Contact the Lochaber Forestry Commission. It's £250 for the year, there is no discount that I'm aware of ( and it's unlikely that there are such - there's not a lot of space to be giving them away ).

From experience, it's worth mentioning that it doesn't really save you any time, especially in Winter it takes as long to drive up the switchbacks as it does to walk - however it can be a big psychological boost at the end of a long day.
Post edited at 10:42
 Offwidth 14 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Tosh... its best late season when the area is normally clear of snow. It was a bloody luxury climbing up there with a guide to take off that inital slog and the knee battering on the final descent.
In reply to Offwidth:

> Tosh...

I didn't say it wasn't a luxury, just that if you're fit and strong enough to be climbing on the Ben in the first place, it won't save you much time, if any. Unless of course you're taking a wheelbarrow of stuff up to the CIC hut, which I have seen. And of course unless you drive like an idiot.

MG 14 Sep 2015

> I didn't say it wasn't a luxury, just that if you're fit and strong enough to be climbing on the Ben in the first place, it won't save you much time, if any.

Walking past people getting in to cars gives a brief sense of superiority too - proper climbers walk. This very soon wears off however once on the steep path!
Jim C 14 Sep 2015
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> [...]
>
.. it won't save you much time, if any. Unless of course you're taking a wheelbarrow of stuff up to the CIC hut,...

Or if you drive a camper van up there, and stay a week.
 kwoods 14 Sep 2015

> just that if you're fit and strong enough to be climbing on the Ben in the first place, it won't save you much time, if any.

I would agree with that - I think the difference is overstated (though given the choice I'd still take the top car park)
In reply to kwoods:

> ...though given the choice I'd still take the top car park

Oh absolutely, but would you pay £250 to have the choice? Currently thinking it over myself.

Joak 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> luxury climbing up there with a guide to take off that inital slog and the knee battering on the final descent.

That steep slog/knee battering section can now be avoided. Them lovely path building people have put in a couple of long zigzags which by bypasses it, making the ascent/descent to and from the CIC hut an almost effortless and pleasurable affair
 AlH 14 Sep 2015
In reply to nation1:

I know at least one local Instructor who applied for a key this summer to be told that they weren't currently issuing any more owing to the number out at present. There can be a quite a bit of congestion in the winter, especially if a few people don't play the game (1 car per key) and both the rut just below the top car park and the general state of the road have deteriorated this summer (lots of clearance work and heavy machinery moving on the road).
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2015
In reply to AlH:

Has the Nevis partnership ever asked the forestry commission about a big car park a decent road and paying for parking?
In reply to alasdair19:

Pay for parking? You realise you're talking about a bunch of climbers?
 galpinos 14 Sep 2015

I got a lift down from there once with some PyB guys after skiing on the north face and it felt like total luxury!
In reply to galpinos:

Often there'll be someone in the car park willing to give random stragglers a lift down to the bottom. I've done it myself numerous times, it tends to even out.
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2015

it wasn't me suggesting £250 to q jump!
 Rich W Parker 14 Sep 2015
In reply to AlH:

> I know at least one local Instructor who applied for a key this summer to be told that they weren't currently issuing any more owing to the number out at present. There can be a quite a bit of congestion in the winter, especially if a few people don't play the game (1 car per key) and both the rut just below the top car park and the general state of the road have deteriorated this summer (lots of clearance work and heavy machinery moving on the road).

That Instructor was me. I haven't been back to see them yet.
It doesn't save much time but definately energy. Alan Kimber was advertising a 'taxi' service I believe. It's all about car car sharing, not key sharing which breaches the contract.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...