UKC

Geography of England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 14 Sep 2015
What defines:

The North
The West Country
The Home Counties

I'll propose a boundary from just north of Chesterfield to just south of Manchester for the first.
 Tom Last 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:
An incomplete picture. You missed out East Anglia for one thing.

I'd say The Home Counties are defined in part by rail links to London.

The West Country for me is defined in part by the junction of the M4/M5 outside of Bristol. This excludes Gloucestershire and Wiltshire from the picture however, which have more of the 'feel' of The West Country about them and less of the southeast.
Post edited at 10:45
OP MG 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> An incomplete picture. You missed out East Anglia for one thing.

Yes, I realize there are other bits too! Isn't EA just Norfolk and Suffolk?

Tom Last 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

> Yes, I realize there are other bits too! Isn't EA just Norfolk and Suffolk?

Ah yes, pretty much - and Cambridgeshire I expect. It's not that great!
 mp3ferret 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North boundary seems to depend on your view point. To me, from north durham, the north starts at Darlington - everyone else seems to think its Sheffield ish. Which is nuts - cos Sheffield is a miles south.

Bloody southerners
 summo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

yeah at a push the M62, but more a line between Blackpool and Scarborough, (York / skipton ish). Manchester down to Brum is the Midlands.
 MonkeyPuzzle 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North is defined by an line through Crewe Mansfield and Lincoln. I'm pretty sure of that on zero basis.
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

> Yes, I realize there are other bits too! Isn't EA just Norfolk and Suffolk?

Nope. Definitions vary.
At the minimum it includes Cambridgeshire and north Essex.
Other uses are broader still:
The army East Anglian regiments (now formed into the single Royal Anglians) covered all of Essex, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire as well.
The tourist board use the same.
 Tom Last 14 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:
Confusing one isn't it. I grew up in Hertfordshire I can't think of anyone ever having referred to it as East Anglia. But then the old border between the kingdoms of Essex and Mercia ran through Herts, and both Essex and Mercia were obviously distinct from Anglia.
There's no consciousness of these distinctions these days among the populous as there is in a place like Cornwall for example, but maybe it's filtered down in name alone if nothing more.

FWIW, in terms of geographical area boundaries, the watershed of The Lea south of Hertford makes a pretty good case for being a natural border between Essex and Herts.
Post edited at 11:30
OP MG 14 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

OK - my apologies to all East Anglians for my ignorance!

From the posts above, I am getting concerned I may in fact be living in the nebulous, characterless wasteland that is the Midlands and not the North....!
 Tom Last 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

> OK - my apologies to all East Anglians for my ignorance!

> From the posts above, I am getting concerned I may in fact be living in the nebulous, characterless wasteland that is the Midlands and not the North....!

The saying goes in North London/Home Counties that The North is everywhere past Watford!
 Toccata 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North: Above a line from the Wash to the Mersey
Home counties: Those that abut London with the addition of Herts, Bucks and Beds
West country: Anywhere where people saying 'combine harvester' raises a smile.
 Clarence 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

You can't just say "the North" without defining how many parts you are requiring. In a north-south division then the boundary is probably somewhere just above the limits of the Birmingham accent, Leicestershire upwards. In a regional division then above the East Midlands (Derbys, Notts, Lincs etc). To the Romans it was everywhere above the Trent, to the Saxons it started somewhere near Northumbria, it all depends on your point of view which is why regionalism is so crap.
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> Confusing one isn't it. I grew up in Hertfordshire I can't think of anyone ever having referred to it as East Anglia. But then the old border between the kingdoms of Essex and Mercia ran through Herts, and both Essex and Mercia were obviously distinct from Anglia.

The problem is the various Kingdoms expanded and contracted over time and also exchanged owners.
I think it was just for a short period, under one of the Vikings, that the Kingdom of East Anglia covered all those counties (although not the entirety of Herts, Beds and Essex).

Then after that the Earldom of East Anglia also expanded and contracted until disappearing fairly early on and blurring into just being part of England.

Bob 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

Viewed as a Cumbrian I'd say that The North stops somewhere between Manchester and Stoke as I see the latter as being in the Midlands. On the eastern side it would probably be the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire border.

The West Country: Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and a bit of Dorset

The Home Counties: Mordor.
 Trangia 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North is that part of England north of Watford and south of Scotand, although there is an enclave around Birmingham and Coventry that likes to be called the Midlands.

The Cotswolds fit into the Midlands quite neatly but the inhabitants, particularly around Chipping Norton, like to think they live in the South and incidentally in the most important area in Britain.

The real South however is Brighton and Hastings, although the latter still thinks it's part of France retaining names like Herstmonceux for surrounding villages. The same applies to Dover and Folkestone which have Capel le Ferne between them.

The West is where the A303 goes. Dorset has an identity crisis though, being torn between the West and the South, so it really don't know where it be.

The East (known as East Anglia) is that huge area of flat boring land East of London, having no crags nor mountains in it, so it's irrelevant, being of no interest to climbers.

Hope that helps.
OP MG 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Hope that helps.

Got it, thanks
Lusk 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North starts at the southern boundaries of Lancashire/(Greater Manchester) and Yorkshire/(Humberside).

Imaginary counties in brackets
 wercat 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North is the bit that starts with the Pennines. Anywhere south of the most southerly Pennine bits is Midlands till you get to the South!
 GrahamD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

I'm from the Midlands, which we always took to include as far North as Derbyshire and Staffordhire, as far South East as Northamptonsire and as far west as Shropshire.
 The New NickB 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

I think Derbyshire is generally considered to be north Midlands. Personally I would add Cheshire to the Midlands as well. The Mersey and the Humber seem a good marker to me, so generally a line slightly south of the M62.
OP MG 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

That's pretty much what I would say (although I think it makes runs through Stanage, which would open up another debate).

As an alternative, how about the line where traditional houses start being predominantly stone rather than brick?
In reply to MG:

> As an alternative, how about the line where traditional houses start being predominantly stone rather than brick?

I'm not sure that works north/south.
 earlsdonwhu 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

In geographical terms, the Tees-Exe line is often used to split north and south. This fits quite well for relief, climate, agriculture types and in the past especially, human aspects like the balance between manufacturing and service sectors.
 Jimbo C 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

The North-South divide isn't a straight line, it's further South in the middle than it is at the coasts. This puts Manchester and Sheffield in the South but parts of The Peak in the North.
 Trevers 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> The saying goes in North London/Home Counties that The North is everywhere past Watford!

There's a bit of confusion here. The Watford Gap is often regarded as being the start of the Midlands. However to the stereotypical Londoner who doesn't realise there's anything north of London except Yorkshire and Scotland, Watford (the first major town which is really distinct from Greater London, yet is still closely linked as a commuter town) has ended up being regarded as where London ends and the wild and lawless north begins.
 ebygomm 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

North = anything above 53 degrees north
XXXX 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Trevers:
As the stereotypical Londoner is likely to have been born anywhere but London, I'd suggest that in actual fact, Londoners are far more aware of the geography of the UK than any other area.

If you ask someone from Yorkshire what's South of London, the chances are they'll miss out whole counties. I live in the South East, South of London, but I do not live in the Home Counties. Here be monsters indeed.

It could be, sorry I'm going to be rational, that your perception of UK geography is influenced by where you live, where you've been and a whole manner of localised prejudice.

Post edited at 13:53
 earlsdonwhu 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Trevers:

There is indeed some confusion.

The Watford Gap is not related to that Watford but a small village further north going by the same name. It is gap in the local hills through which a variety of transport links run.
 alan moore 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

Seems like they can't be defined...
In reply to XXXX:

I know Yorkshire folk are a bit thick, but which counties do you think they would miss out?

A Lancastrian
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> The Watford Gap is not related to that Watford but a small village further north going by the same name.

Or rather the services which were named after it. Which was/is the first services reached going north on the M1 from London.
Using motorways as a handy measure. Anyone know when the signs stop pointing to "The North"?

Trevers 14 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> As the stereotypical Londoner is likely to have been born anywhere but London, I'd suggest that in actual fact, Londoners are far more aware of the geography of the UK than any other area.

> If you ask someone from Yorkshire what's South of London, the chances are they'll miss out whole counties. I live in the South East, South of London, but I do not live in the Home Counties. Here be monsters indeed.

> It could be, sorry I'm going to be rational, that your perception of UK geography is influenced by where you live, where you've been and a whole manner of localised prejudice.

>

I was mocking the idea of the London stereotype, not agreeing with it! It's all a bit tongue in cheek. I'm from Watford (not Watford Gap) and I've spent what feels like half my life pointing out the difference (to people from all over the country!)
 Al Evans 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Trevers:

The North definitely starts at Sheffield, all below that is the East Midlands.
OP MG 14 Sep 2015

Wessex
OP MG 14 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

No, but at a railway station in darkest Cornwall there is a sign for trains to Exeter and Beyond. Real frontier country is Devon.
In reply to Al Evans:

> The North definitely starts at Sheffield, all below that is the East Midlands.

I'd say it's just a little bit south of that, the border being (very!) roughly Lincoln - Chesterfield - Bakewell - Longnor - Congleton - Crewe.
XXXX 14 Sep 2015

My experience is that many people think London is on the south coast. The idea of there being two whole counties between the city and the sea is a surprise.

Sussex is the one I was thinking of, being as that's where I'm from.
 Bob 14 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

> Using motorways as a handy measure. Anyone know when the signs stop pointing to "The North"?

Not so much motorways (I think the M9 at Dunblane is the most northerly motorway in the UK) but there are signs at least as far north as Inverness that indicate "The North"

Chris the Tall 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:
> The North
> I'll propose a boundary from just north of Chesterfield to just south of Manchester for the first.

Agree

> The West Country
Draw a line from Swanage to just north of Bristol - anywhere with decent climbing in the southern half

> The Home Counties
Obsolete term - anything within commuter range is just outer london - draw an arc from Southampton through Swindon, Peterbrough etc to the wash. Flat and pointless

Which just leaves the midlands as a buffer zone
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> Sussex is the one I was thinking of, being as that's where I'm from.

Being picky isnt that two? East and West Sussex.
Even with that only one county separates it (Kent) since that falls under the south coast as well.
XXXX 14 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

Very picky and missing the point. Yorkshire is more than one county too, no?

My point is that people's knowledge of parts of the uk in which they don't live is generally shit.
 Chris the Tall 14 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> My point is that people's knowledge of parts of the uk in which they don't live is generally shit.

Nothing wrong with my knowledge, I just don't care ! It may be over 50 miles from the Thames to to the south coast, but I still regard Brighton as being a suburb of London
In reply to XXXX:

> My experience is that many people think London is on the south coast. The idea of there being two whole counties between the city and the sea is a surprise.

Have you genuinely met someone who thinks London is on the South Coast?

> Sussex is the one I was thinking of, being as that's where I'm from.

I can't say I have ever met anyone who has never heard of Sussex.

I would say that most people are more aware of the geography of the South East than anywhere else in England, with the exception of the area that they live in. I could place every county in England on a map, but I have admit I would struggle the Welsh counties.
KevinD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> Very picky and missing the point. Yorkshire is more than one county too, no?

It has a lot stronger identity though than most counties, goes back to the East Anglia bit. All the bods I know from East and West Sussex tend to make it clear which one they are from, if they are not just stating they are from a specific city. Not so much for the Yorkshire folk
 Andy Long 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

> ... there are signs at least as far north as Inverness that indicate "The North"

There are signs here in Shetland that indicate "The North".
 John Ww 14 Sep 2015
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

The Tees-Exe line is a reasonably useful tool to separate (generally) upland Britain from (generally) lowland Britain, rather than the north from the south.

JW
 Dave the Rave 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:
I see Stoke as being more North than Midlands. The accent particularly is more northern than midland, as is the heritage and mindset.
Not being stroppy about it, if it's deemed not, I couldn't give a shit
Post edited at 20:55
 graeme jackson 14 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

If you divide the length of England into 3 equal parts, the north starts somewhere around Ripon. South of that is either the midlands or the south but from my point of view, anywhere south of Newcastle is the south.
 Brass Nipples 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Nothing wrong with my knowledge, I just don't care ! It may be over 50 miles from the Thames to to the south coast, but I still regard Brighton as being a suburb of London

Proving your knowledge is shit
 Timmd 15 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:
> That's pretty much what I would say (although I think it makes runs through Stanage, which would open up another debate).

> As an alternative, how about the line where traditional houses start being predominantly stone rather than brick?

Traditional houses in Sheffield are made from gritstone, by traditional I mean (mostly) pre industrial revolution growth of the city, where it's farm buildings and absorbed tiny villages and small lines of cottages which are made from the stone, and grand houses too. I don't know if it's because it's gritstone, but it quite pains me to see it in skips occasionally if somebody is having work done on their home. 'Do you know how long that took to form?' I don't know if it's from climbing on it or just knowing that it'll only exist once, but it seems a shame somehow to put it in the skip.
Post edited at 01:22
 Andy Hardy 15 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

> [...]

Or where beer starts to be served flat?
 The New NickB 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Or where beer starts to be served flat?

The sparkler line!
XXXX 15 Sep 2015

Yes I have. But I've also met someone who thought cities were named alphabetically from north to south so that's not saying much.

XXXX 15 Sep 2015
In reply to KevinD:

Well living in Sussex as I do, people rarely differentiate. History isn't my strong point but I'd suspect Sussex is an older, more historic county than Yorkshire so maybe the identity thing is just the curse of youth.
 jayferg76 15 Sep 2015
In reply to MG:

To make things easier, why not split it as the following:

Yorkshire.

Everywhere else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...