UKC

Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
carlo 14 Sep 2015
After many years of climbing in Wales, where I've always lived, Scotland, Spain & the Alps I now, after I've stopped, want to visit the Peak to finally see what "all the fuss is about" for myself. I obviously don't know the area but would appreciate some advice on where to go on a 2 day visit. I'll be up that way in November, going to Holmfirth to see Walter Trout in the Picturedrome so any advice would be appreciated.
 ashtond6 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

I would say the stuff around Holmfirth isn't the best
What kind of grades?

Can't go wrong with a trip to Almscliff then Stanage for a taster
 Martin Bennett 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:
Thanks for the tip about Walter Trout - if he's touring I'll look up other venues, tho Holmfirth is within reach.
On that other minor topic you might be well advised to stop in Hathersage - I'm no expert but it seems to be pretty central to all the attractions (?) and has decent pubs.
Mind you looking at your list of where you've climbed and extrapolating where you haven't, you'd be better advised to spend a couple of days (or lifetimes) in The Lakes!
Post edited at 12:14
carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I don't want to climb, I've had to give up. I just want to visit & have a close look @the classics. Like the routes I've seen on vids like Hard Grit.
 ashtond6 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

go for a walk at Burbage South & Millstone then i'd say
 philipivan 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

Start at Curbar, Froggat, Millstone, Burbage and Stanage. Probably walkable in a long day and you could see a lot of grit classics!
carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to philipivan:

Many thanks, advice sounds comprehensive & just what I'm looking for as although injury & old age means I can't climb any more I can still walk. Basically I'm looking to check my 1st ascents from years ago & how they're graded today against those on grit. I suspect I'll lag far behind.
 Offwidth 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

This place is lovely for some easy bouldering:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1559
 The Pylon King 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

You dont need to leave Wales if you want grit!
carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Urgles:

No but I do for the classics I'm thinking about & I'm up there anyway.
 wbo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo: Given that you're effectively an independent observer it would be interesting to see how you compare the eastern and western edges. It's hard to beat Stanage,, Froggatt/Curbar, Burbage and Millstone via. The Roaches and Hen cloud.

Given that I now live abroad the grit is very interesting, Wales less so and the Lake District not very interesting at all.

carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to wbo:

I've never climbed grit. Mainly local Limestone, sea cliffs in Gower/Pembrokeshire, Skye & Spanish stuff. Mostly multi pitch with some huge but easy multi pitch in Spain, around Sella & in Majorca. I'm really looking forward to having a close look @ grit.
 EddieC 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

From Holmfirth it's a short drive west over to the Chew Valley where you can slog up the hill to find Wimberry, one of the most impressive-looking crags on grit.
 The Pylon King 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

> No but I do for the classics I'm thinking about & I'm up there anyway.

as in Rockfax grit?

carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Urgles:

I don't have these guides which is why I asked for advice.
 cragtyke 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

The picturedrome is a great venue with good views of the stage and a really good atmosphere, and you can usually get a pint of Timothy Taylors in the upstairs bar.
carlo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I'm looking forward to it. Never seen Walter Trout before & I guess it is just good news that he's still playing given his recent health problems. I much prefer smaller venues & Picturedrome sounds perfect.
 uphillnow 14 Sep 2015
In reply to EddieC:

Wimberry ? This year? In November? Walked past it yesterday in the fine weather and a lot of the routes looked far from in good condition. Great crag but I wouldnt pick that at this time on a flying visit.
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2015
In reply to carlo:

Nov is pretty iffy to be honest could be excellent could be wash out. Rivelin or Froggatt are the obvious venues bring a flask and plenty clothes most folk will be bouldering cause then at least you can keep moving.
 EddieC 15 Sep 2015
In reply to uphillnow:

The OP says he doesn't want to climb, but wants to have a look at some impressive hard grit routes. Plenty of them at Wimberry (especially if you include the classic HVSs), albeit not ones on the Hard Grit vid if I remember rightly. The likely November conditions should add to the atmosphere up there.
carlo 15 Sep 2015
In reply to EddieC:

Thanks to all, as I said I've stopped climbing now but happy to walk around these great crags regardless of weather. Advice on crags is taken and well appreciated. If you bump into an old man walking around on & staring @ grit or admiring Walter it'll prob. be me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...