UKC

golfers elbow medial epicondylitis surgery recovery...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 derekb 17 Sep 2015
Hello folks, so after years of suffering golfers elbow pronounced in one arm (not cured by stretching/eccentric exercises/cortisone/physio) i bit the bullet and had the release surgery a couple of weeks ago.

Sat bored googling the internet (as you do) - would be interested to hear from other rock climbers who have had the surgery regarding recovery/exercise and timeframes - wondering if i'll be back on the rock before Christmas !

Thanks in advance - derek
 Prof. Outdoors 17 Sep 2015
In reply to derekb:
About 6 years ago I had the operation for lateral epicondylitis (Tennis elbow). I had tried physio, eccentrics, stretching, acupuncture and steroid injections.

The operation worked a treat for me and I built up slowly post op. Having had pain for years and years I decided long term gain was more important. It helped that the op was in October therefore out of mainstream rock climbing. The hospital did not provide any structured recovery programme as I don't think they are geared for sportsmen. I was just sensible and gained mobility first, followed by gentle exercise increasing the loading as time passed.

Stayed off anything really steep and strenuous until I felt comfortable. Use a wall sensibly, restricting use of the hands will also develop your technique by emphasising the use of feet.

Big tip from me is to continue the eccentrics on both arms after the operation.
Prevention is better than cure.

You also may find Make or Break the Dave Macleod book well worthwhile reading.

wishing you a solid recovery
Post edited at 17:31
 David Bennett 17 Sep 2015
In reply to derekb:
I was back to normal in 4 months following my surgery, so you might just make Christmas.
OP derekb 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Thanks - will definitely get the book.
OP derekb 17 Sep 2015
In reply to David Bennett:

Cheers David
 SteveSBlake 18 Sep 2015
In reply to derekb:

I'd agree with Prof's advice.

I've had the epicondylites shaved and tendons eased and debraded of scar tissue on both elbows. Both outcomes have been great.

In both instances I was quite conservative with the rehab, but early on did lots of gentle stretching and flexing. I didn't even attempt to climb before four months. At that point (@ 4 months) I'd weight the arm on a pull up bar, but not attempt to pull. At six months it was fine was strong and I started training.

I didn't have a wall to 'ease into'. It may seem OK, but a potential hazard with early trips to the wall is that if you cock some thing up, your feet/foot slip you can shock load it....... Not good.

Be patient and you'll be rewarded.

Good luck,

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...